Interpreting Chi Squared Test Results for Lab Report

• Thread starter bennykid123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chi
In summary, the conversation discusses a lab report requiring a chi squared test. The test yielded a result of c^2 = .26, which is below the cutoff of 3.84. The individual is unsure if this means they should accept or reject the hypothesis. The expert clarifies that the null hypothesis should only be rejected if the test statistic is larger than the cutoff. The individual also mentions that their results were slightly off from the expected 50/50 ratio.
bennykid123
for a lab report i have to perform a chi squared test... i have no idea how to interprete my results from that chi squared test

I got c^2= .26 and its way under the 3.84 cap... does that mean i accept the hypothesis or reject it... I get confused about this... i got 32 and 28 for my two catagories and it should have been 50/50 so I am slightly off.

Please help...

Physics news on Phys.org
You should reject the null hypothesis if your test statistic, [itex] \chi^2 [/itex], is larger than the cutoff. If it is smaller than the cutoff do not reject the null hypothesis (don't say accept the null).

I'm not sure what you mean by your final sentence and "being slightly off".

Thanks for the input. He says he's figured it out now (OP is my brother).

Related to Interpreting Chi Squared Test Results for Lab Report

1. What is Chi Squared and how is it used in science?

Chi Squared (χ2) is a statistical test used to determine the relationship between two categorical variables. It is used to determine if there is a significant difference between the expected and observed frequencies of a particular phenomenon.

2. How is Chi Squared calculated?

The Chi Squared value is calculated by taking the sum of the squared difference between the observed and expected frequencies, divided by the expected frequencies for each category. This is then compared to a critical value to determine the significance of the relationship between the variables.

3. What is the significance level in Chi Squared?

The significance level in Chi Squared refers to the probability of obtaining a result as extreme as the one observed if there is no true relationship between the variables. It is typically set at 0.05, meaning there is a 5% chance that the observed results are due to chance and not a true relationship.

4. When should Chi Squared be used?

Chi Squared is used when working with categorical data, meaning data that can be sorted into different categories but cannot be measured or expressed as a numerical value. It is commonly used in fields such as biology, psychology, and social sciences to analyze relationships between variables.

5. What are the limitations of Chi Squared?

Chi Squared can only be used to test for a relationship between two categorical variables. It cannot determine the strength or direction of the relationship, and it is not appropriate for use with continuous or interval data. Additionally, Chi Squared assumes that the expected frequencies are greater than 5 for each category, otherwise the results may not be reliable.