Interpretiing the Dolbeault operators

• Thread starter lavinia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary, the differential of a function may be interpreted as a map on tangent spaces, and the Dolbeault operators clarify the interaction between the map and complex multiplication.
lavinia
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The differential of a function may me interpreted a the the dual of its gradient.

What is the interpretation of the Dolbeault operators?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I'd prefer to interpret the differential of a function as a map on tangent spaces. Then the Dolbeault operators further clarify the interaction between the map and complex multiplication. Recall that a map from C to C is holomorphic if and only if [itex]\frac{d}{d\bar{z}}f(z)=0[/itex]. Phrased another way, the Jacobian of the map commutes with multiplication by i. If we then look at a map from C to C which is not necessarily holomorphic, we can decompose its Jacobian into components which commute/anticommute with complex multiplication.

Of course, one may attempt to extend this to your case, by defining holomorphic gradients and the like, but IMO it's clearer this way.

zhentil said:
Hmm, I'd prefer to interpret the differential of a function as a map on tangent spaces. Then the Dolbeault operators further clarify the interaction between the map and complex multiplication. Recall that a map from C to C is holomorphic if and only if [itex]\frac{d}{d\bar{z}}f(z)=0[/itex]. Phrased another way, the Jacobian of the map commutes with multiplication by i. If we then look at a map from C to C which is not necessarily holomorphic, we can decompose its Jacobian into components which commute/anticommute with complex multiplication.

Of course, one may attempt to extend this to your case, by defining holomorphic gradients and the like, but IMO it's clearer this way.

Thanks. I got the thought - maybe wrong - that in a particular conformal atlas of charts on a Riemann surface - the operation adx + bdy -> -bdx + a dy is well defined. It is something like a rotation by 90 degrees but there is no Riemannain metric. I guess it would be a rotation in isothermal coordinates.

Related to Interpretiing the Dolbeault operators

1. What are the Dolbeault operators?

The Dolbeault operators are differential operators used in complex analysis to study the geometry of complex manifolds. They were introduced by French mathematician Georges Dolbeault in the 1940s.

2. What is the purpose of interpreting the Dolbeault operators?

The main purpose of interpreting the Dolbeault operators is to understand the complex structure of a manifold and its holomorphic functions. By studying the properties of the Dolbeault operators, we can gain insights into the topology and geometry of the manifold.

3. How do the Dolbeault operators relate to the Cauchy-Riemann equations?

The Dolbeault operators are closely related to the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which are necessary and sufficient conditions for a function to be holomorphic. In fact, the Dolbeault operators can be seen as a higher-dimensional generalization of the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

4. Can the Dolbeault operators be used in other areas of mathematics?

Yes, the Dolbeault operators have applications in various areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry, topology, and differential geometry. They are also used in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of complex manifolds in string theory and other areas of mathematical physics.

5. What are some open problems related to the Dolbeault operators?

Some open problems related to the Dolbeault operators include finding explicit solutions to certain differential equations involving the operators, studying their properties on non-compact manifolds, and investigating their connections to other areas of mathematics such as algebraic topology and geometric analysis.