Interpretation of probability density in QFT

In summary: However, I am still confused about the interpretation of probability density in QFT. Can you please elaborate on this a bit more? Thank you!Within second quantization, the field operator ##\hat{\phi}(x)## is not the same as the wave function ##\psi(x)##. The field operator is a 1-particle state at position ##x##, while the wave function is the probability density for all possible positions of the particle. The relation between the two is given by the Schrodinger equation. When you apply ##\hat{\phi}(x)## on the vacuum state ##\|0>##, you create a particle at the position x. However, you can also
Silviu
Hello! I am a bit confused about the interpretation of probability density in QFT. Let's say we have the Klein-Gordon equation. I understand that this is the field equation for a spin-0 charged particle. So if we find a solution ##\phi(x)## of the Klein-Gordon equation, as far as I understand this can be interpreted as a probability density (i.e. where can you find the particle with a given probability, given by ##\| \phi(x)^2 \|dx##), but at the same time it can be interpreted as a creation operator so when you apply ##\phi(x)## on the vacuum state ##\|0>##, you create a particle at the position x (please let me know if I said something wrong up to know - I might have understood something wrong). As a first question, do these 2 interpretation hold only for a free particle, or even for Klein-Gordon equation with an interaction term? And I am a bit confused about how do these 2 interpretation can take place at the same time and when do you pick one over the other. The first one assume that the position of the particle is spread in space with different probabilities at each point while the second one assumes that the particle is localized at the point where it is created, but in the end, mathematically, you have a single solution to the Klein-Gordon equation. So, can someone explain to me more in depth the meaning of these 2 interpretations and the differences between them? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
First, Klein-Gordon equation is not a good example because ##|\phi(x)|^2## cannot be interpreted as a probability density in the usual sense. To make a better sense of your question, it is better to consider non-relativistic QFT, i.e. second-quantized Schrodinger equation.

Second, within non-relativistic QFT, one should distinguish field operator ##\hat{\phi}(x)## from the wave function ##\psi(x)##. The object ##\hat{\phi}(x)|0\rangle## is a 1-particle state at position ##x##. The quantity ##|\psi(x)|^2## is the probability density. For the relation between ##\hat{\phi}(x)## and ##\psi(x)##, and for other details, see
https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0609163
Secs. 7 and 8.

For more advanced aspects, I also recommend a very recent paper "Localized States in Quantum Field Theories" by M. Pavšić:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1705.02774

Demystifier said:
First, Klein-Gordon equation is not a good example because ##|\phi(x)|^2## cannot be interpreted as a probability density in the usual sense. To make a better sense of your question, it is better to consider non-relativistic QFT, i.e. second-quantized Schrodinger equation.

Second, within non-relativistic QFT, one should distinguish field operator ##\hat{\phi}(x)## from the wave function ##\psi(x)##. The object ##\hat{\phi}(x)|0\rangle## is a 1-particle state at position ##x##. The quantity ##|\psi(x)|^2## is the probability density. For the relation between ##\hat{\phi}(x)## and ##\psi(x)##, and for other details, see
https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0609163
Secs. 7 and 8.
Hello! Thank you so so much for this paper. It really helped me a lot and also got me to understand the second quantization. If you know any other paper at this level, to prepare me for QFT it would be great!

Likes Demystifier

Related to Interpretation of probability density in QFT

1. What is probability density in QFT?

Probability density in QFT refers to the likelihood of finding a particle at a specific location in space at a given time. It is a fundamental concept in quantum field theory that describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

2. How is probability density interpreted in QFT?

In QFT, probability density is interpreted as the squared magnitude of the wave function, which represents the probability amplitude of a particle. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a specific state or location.

3. What is the significance of probability density in QFT?

The significance of probability density in QFT lies in its ability to predict the behavior of subatomic particles. By understanding the probability of finding a particle in a certain location, scientists can make predictions about the interactions and movements of particles in quantum systems.

4. How is probability density calculated in QFT?

In QFT, probability density is calculated using the Klein-Gordon equation, which describes the behavior of scalar fields. The equation involves complex numbers and derivatives, and can be solved to determine the probability density at a specific point in space and time.

5. How does probability density in QFT relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle in QFT states that there is a limit to how precisely we can know the position and momentum of a particle at the same time. Probability density is closely related to this principle, as it represents the probability of finding a particle in a specific location. The higher the probability density at a certain point, the more likely it is that the particle will be found there, but this also means that the uncertainty in the particle's momentum will increase.