Interpretation of photon interference

In summary: However, in summary, the discussion is about different interpretations of photon interference in the context of the Pfleegor-Mandel experiment, with one individual proposing a unique interpretation that involves the continuous evolution of the photon source and the discrete transport of the evolution function through the photon beam. This interpretation is questioned by another individual, who suggests sticking with established interpretations such as Copenhagen or the Statistical Interpretation. The question is posed whether there is an interpretation that better fits the experiment, particularly one that implements the Heisenberg picture.
zonde
Gold Member
I would like to hear comments about interpretation of photon interference in context with Pfleegor-Mandel experiment "Interference of Independent Photon Beams". There is a blog post about this experiment: http://scienceblogs.com/principles/2010/11/19/interference-of-independent-ph/. Original article is behind paywall but I googled and found a free version.

I am using certain interpretation of photon interference and find it quite consistent with this experiment. My interpretation is that wavefunction actually describes photon source (photon source is undergoing evolution in time) but photon beam is just a passive transport of wavefunction to receiver. So evolution of source is continuous but transport of this evolution function is discrete (evolution function is encoded in photon ensemble consisting of discrete entries - photons). Receiver adjusts it's function of evolution as it receives photon beam by different responses to particular photon (absorption, reflection, transmission). Now interference effect is continuous adjustment of receiver’s evolution when two beams overlap in an "inconsistent" way.

Is such an interpretation of photon interference in conflict with QM? Is there an interpretation that fits this experiment better?

Physics news on Phys.org
zonde said:
Is there an interpretation that fits this experiment better?

I can't say I understand your interpretation but what about bog standard QM with a minimalist interpretation such as Copenhagen, the Statistical Interpretation, Consistent History's - indeed any interpretation really. If it conforms to the QM formalism, as it must, then any interpretation is valid.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
I can't say I understand your interpretation but what about bog standard QM with a minimalist interpretation such as Copenhagen, the Statistical Interpretation, Consistent History's - indeed any interpretation really. If it conforms to the QM formalism, as it must, then any interpretation is valid.
Standard QM still admits two ways how to represent the formalism - Schrödinger picture and Heisenberg picture.
Is there some interpretation that implements Heisenberg picture for photon interference?

We don't develop new interpretations here.

Related to Interpretation of photon interference

1. What is photon interference and how does it occur?

Photon interference refers to the phenomenon in which two or more light waves interact with each other and produce a pattern of bright and dark regions. This occurs when the waves are coherent, meaning they have the same frequency and phase, and meet at a certain point in space.

2. How is the interference pattern of photons observed and measured?

The interference pattern of photons can be observed and measured using a double-slit experiment. This involves directing a beam of coherent light through two parallel slits, which then creates an interference pattern on a screen placed behind the slits. The pattern can be measured using detectors or by simply observing the bright and dark fringes.

3. What is the role of quantum mechanics in understanding photon interference?

Quantum mechanics plays a crucial role in understanding photon interference. This theory describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, including photons. It explains how the probability of finding a photon at a certain point can be affected by its interaction with other photons, resulting in interference patterns.

4. Can photon interference be observed with non-visible light, such as infrared or ultraviolet?

Yes, photon interference can be observed with non-visible light, as long as the light is coherent. In fact, the double-slit experiment has been successfully conducted with various types of light, including infrared and ultraviolet.

5. What are the practical applications of studying photon interference?

Studying photon interference has various practical applications, including in the field of optics and telecommunications. It is used in technologies such as interferometers for precise measurements, and in fiber optics for transmitting information. Understanding photon interference also helps in developing new technologies for quantum computing and cryptography.