Interpretation of kinetic energy

In summary, the concept of kinetic energy in Sears & Zemansky's University Physics can be interpreted in two ways: as the total work done to accelerate a particle from rest to its present speed, or as the work that the particle can do in the process of being brought to rest. The second interpretation can be illustrated with the example of a ball colliding with a spring, where the spring exerts a force on the ball and vice versa. This results in the work done by both forces being equal and opposite, demonstrating conservation of energy. The two definitions provided in the book are equivalent and the elastic potential energy must be taken into account to fully understand the concept of kinetic energy.
Soren4
While studying energy on Sears & Zemansky's University Physics, I came up with a doubt on the meaning of kinetic energy. The book gives two possible physical interpretations of this quantity.
So the kinetic energy of a particle is equal to the total work that was done to accelerate it from rest to its present speed [...] The kinetic energy of a particle is equal to the total work that particle can do in the process of being brought to rest.

I'm okay with the first meaning of KE but I don't understand completely the second one. I don't understand how the particle can do work just because it owns KE.

Consider a ball with velocity ##v## that meets a spring, the spring is compressed and the ball is stopped. Following the previous interpretation of the kinetic energy, the ball should do work on the spring because of its KE. But does this really happen?

In the collision with the spring exerts a force ##f## on the ball and the ball exerts a force ##-f## on the spring. Are the two works done by the two forces equal and opposite?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Soren,
Yes. That is conservation of mechanical energy. Sum of energies before and after is the same, so the changes add up to zero.
If you wait a little longer, the spring is compressed as far as it will go and the ball is at resst (has lost its kinetic energy). Then the spring pushes the ball away -- doing work on the ball that picks up kinetic energy again.

Likes Soren4
Soren4 said:
But does this really happen?
Yes, the spring is compressed.
Soren4 said:
Are the two works done by the two forces equal and opposite?
Yes. The work of the spring on the ball is negative and the work of the ball on the spring positive with the same magnitude. This is just conservation of energy.

The two definitions are completely equivalent.

Likes Soren4
Thanks a lot for the replies @BvU and @Orodruin ! I hope that what I will ask makes sense: how does the "canceling out" of the works imply the conservation of energy, explicitly?
Firstly, to introduce the elastic potential energy ##U## it is necessary to take as "system" both the spring and the ball. Then is it possible to write the following? ##K_{initial, ball}-W_{spring}+W_{ball}=U_{system}##
Again, I don't know if it makes sense, but I would like to see in what way do the two works cancel out

Related to Interpretation of kinetic energy

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v², where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. How does kinetic energy relate to potential energy?

Kinetic energy and potential energy are two forms of mechanical energy. Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. They are interrelated and can be converted into each other.

4. What factors affect an object's kinetic energy?

An object's kinetic energy is affected by its mass and velocity. The greater the mass and velocity, the greater the kinetic energy.

5. Can kinetic energy be lost or gained?

Yes, kinetic energy can be lost or gained through various processes such as friction, collisions, and changes in velocity. Energy can never be created or destroyed, but it can be converted from one form to another.