Interpretation of augmented Dickey-Fuller results

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the Augmented Dickey-Fuller test on geophysics data to determine if it is stationary. The results show that the data may still be stationary, based on the tpp and t_1 values being less than their respective significance levels. However, it is important to consider other factors and consult with an expert for a more thorough analysis.
BOYLANATOR
Hi,

I have no background in statistics/econometrics but some theory I'm applying to geophysics data requires the data to be stationary (or at least trend-stationary) and I don't believe they are.

I've found MATLAB code to apply the Augmented Dickey-Fuller test (from here - https://ideas.repec.org/c/boc/bocode/t871806.html) on the attached timeseries. (The red trend is a background trend I might use later but for now I want to test the original blue data.)

The results come in the form:

sigma dw beta0 beta1

tpp dh t0 t1

tppsig dhsig NaN tsig1

The results are:

123.248 2.0302 115.7256 -0.0356

-14.4567 -1.8068 15.3695 -15.5241

0.01 0.0708 NaN 0.01

where sigma = the estimated standard error of the residuals;
dw = the Durbin-Watson statistics of the residuals;
dh = the Durbin h statistic of the residuals;
dhsig = the level of significance at which the (two-sided) null hypothesis
of no (first-order) autocorrelation in the residuals is rejected

beta_0, beta_1 = the estimated values of the coefficients (as above)

t_0, t_1 = the (uncorrected) t-ratios on the coefficients;
tpp = the Phillips-Perron corrected t-ratio on beta_1
tsig_1,tppsig = the levels at which t_1 and tpp are statistically significantly, using Dickey-Fuller critical values;

So, reject a unit root if t_1 in the ADF regression is statistically significant, e.g. tsig_1 <= 0.1,
AND the residuals are not correlated (otherwise the test statistic is inefficient),
OR if tpp (in any regression) is statistically significant (- or both).
(Reject random walk, if unit root is rejected, or some dlags are significant, or both.)

MY ATTEMPT AT INTERPRETATION:
tpp is less than tpp_sig so the Phillips-Perron corrected t-ration is not significant. So the data could still be stationary.

dh is less than dh_sig. Does this mean that the the data are not correlated? This would be surprising as I know the fluctuations do occur over a typical timescale.

t_1 is less than tsig_1 so the t_ratio is not significant and the timeseries is stationary.

Does that make sense? It doesn't to me!

Thanks,

BOYLANATOR

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    18.4 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi BOYLANATOR,

Thank you for sharing your results and concerns. Based on the information provided, it seems like your data may still be stationary. The tpp value being less than tppsig indicates that the Phillips-Perron corrected t-ratio is not significant, which suggests that there is no evidence of a unit root. Additionally, the t_1 value being less than tsig_1 suggests that the t-ratio is not significant and the data is stationary.

However, it is important to note that the results of the Augmented Dickey-Fuller test should not be the only factor in determining whether your data is stationary. It is also important to consider the underlying theory and potential sources of non-stationarity in your data. If you have concerns about the validity of your results, it may be helpful to consult with a statistician or econometrician who can provide a more thorough analysis and interpretation of your data.

Overall, it seems like your interpretation is in line with the results, but it is important to consider other factors and seek additional guidance if needed. I hope this helps and good luck with your analysis.

Related to Interpretation of augmented Dickey-Fuller results

What is the purpose of conducting an augmented Dickey-Fuller test?

The augmented Dickey-Fuller (ADF) test is a statistical test used to determine whether a time series data is stationary or not. Stationarity is an important assumption in many statistical models, and the ADF test helps to ensure that the data being used is appropriate for the chosen model.

What are the main components of the ADF test results?

The ADF test results consist of a test statistic, a p-value, and critical values at different confidence levels. The test statistic is compared to the critical values to determine the significance of the test, and the p-value indicates the probability of obtaining the observed results if the null hypothesis (the data is non-stationary) is true.

How do I interpret the ADF test results?

If the p-value is less than the chosen significance level (usually 0.05), we reject the null hypothesis and conclude that the data is stationary. If the p-value is greater than the significance level, we fail to reject the null hypothesis and conclude that the data is non-stationary.

What are the potential implications of non-stationarity in time series data?

Non-stationary data can lead to misleading results and inaccurate conclusions when using statistical models. It can also make it difficult to identify patterns and trends in the data, which can affect the accuracy of forecasting future values.

What are some limitations of the ADF test?

The ADF test assumes that the data follows a specific type of trend and does not account for other types of non-stationarity such as seasonal trends or structural breaks. It is also affected by the length of the time series data and may give different results for different time periods. Additionally, the ADF test does not identify the specific cause of non-stationarity, so further analysis may be required to address the issue.