Interpret Relativistic Momentum: Facts & Popular Opinion

In summary, relativistic momentum can be interpreted in two ways: relativistic mass times velocity or relativistic momentum as rest mass times proper velocity. The popular interpretation is that relativistic momentum is a non-linear function of velocity. Proper velocity also retains the properties of classical velocity, including its magnitude range from zero to infinity.
SheikYerbouti
I understood the derivation of relativistic momentum, but I am uncertain of how to exactly interpret it. One could interpret the arrangement of terms to be relativistic mass times velocity, and this appears to be in agreement with data from particle accelerators (or so I have been led to believe). Alternatively, one could rearrange the terms to describe relativistic momentum as rest mass times proper velocity. In my opinion, parameterizing position with respect to proper time seems much more natural than using coordinate time, much like parameterizing a space curve with respect to length. Proper velocity also retains the properties of classical velocity in that its magnitude ranges from zero to infinity. What is the popular interpretation of relativistic momentum? Which of these two interpretations is correct? Or is there a deeper relationship between the two?

Physics news on Phys.org
SheikYerbouti said:
I understood the derivation of relativistic momentum, but I am uncertain of how to exactly interpret it.

Do you mean 4-momentum? As in, the 4-vector whose components are ##(E, p_x, p_y, p_z)## in an inertial frame?

SheikYerbouti said:
Which of these two interpretations is correct?

They both are, if by "correct" you mean "valid". Consider the components I wrote above; what I wrote is equivalent to ##(\gamma m, \gamma m v_x, \gamma m v_y, \gamma m v_z)##. You can rewrite this as ##\gamma m (1, v_x, v_y, v_z)## or as ##m (\gamma, \gamma v_x, \gamma v_y, \gamma v_z)##. It's just a matter of shuffling around factors.

Also, you left out one: the one I implicitly used above when I wrote down the components. Under this interpretation, the 4-momentum is often called the "energy-momentum 4-vector", since, as you can see, it includes energy as well as momentum.

However, I think you have a misconception that these interpretations correspond to "real" things--i.e., that they describe different possible ways that reality can be. That's not correct. The "interpretations" are, as the above makes clear, just different ways of shuffling around factors in the math. They are all valid, but none is more "real" than the others.

SheikYerbouti said:
What is the popular interpretation of relativistic momentum? Which of these two interpretations is correct?
My preferred interpretation is simply that momentum is a non-linear function of velocity. I don't know why it needs to be interpreted further than that.

SheikYerbouti said:
Proper velocity also retains the properties of classical velocity in that its magnitude ranges from zero to infinity.
The magnitude of 4-velocity is normalized so that it is always (using the ##- + + +## convention) ##-1## (in natural units).

WannabeNewton said:
SheikYerbouti said:
Proper velocity also retains the properties of classical velocity in that its magnitude ranges from zero to infinity.

The magnitude of 4-velocity is normalized so that it is always (using the ##- + + +## convention) ##-1## (in natural units).

While true, "proper velocity" (which isn't a great term... "celerity" is better) refers to the spatial-component of a 4-velocity. In terms of rapidities, it is ## \sinh\theta##. When divided by the 4-velocity's timelike-component ##\cosh\theta##, one gets the spatial-velocity ##\tanh\theta##. (Of course, as a check: ##-(\cosh\theta)^2+(\sinh\theta)^2=-1##, using your signature convention.)

Oh I see. I thought "proper velocity" meant 4-velocity since we usually refer to 4-acceleration as proper acceleration and stuff.

I was referring to the spatial components of 4-velocity as robphy stated. I am currently working through a textbook and I didn't read the section on the energy-momentum 4-vector before posting this. After reading that section and your responses, it has helped to clarify my interpretation of the spatial components of relativistic momentum. Thank you for your responses.

Related to Interpret Relativistic Momentum: Facts & Popular Opinion

What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is a concept in physics that takes into account the effects of special relativity on the momentum of a moving object. It differs from classical momentum in that it incorporates the relativistic effects of time dilation and length contraction.

How is relativistic momentum calculated?

Relativistic momentum is calculated using the equation p = mv/√(1-v^2/c^2), where p is momentum, m is mass, v is velocity, and c is the speed of light. This equation takes into account the fact that the mass of an object increases as its velocity approaches the speed of light.

What are some real-world applications of relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles at high speeds, such as in particle accelerators. It is also used in the design and operation of spacecraft, as well as in nuclear reactions and astrophysics.

What is the difference between relativistic and classical momentum?

The main difference between these two types of momentum is that relativistic momentum takes into account the effects of special relativity, while classical momentum does not. This means that relativistic momentum is more accurate at high speeds, whereas classical momentum is only accurate at low speeds.

Is there any controversy or debate surrounding relativistic momentum?

While there may be different interpretations or opinions on the concept of relativistic momentum, it is widely accepted and used in the scientific community. There is no major controversy or debate surrounding its validity or application.