Internships as a Quantitative Analyst

In summary, the individual is a 3rd semester Physics student interested in pursuing a career in theoretical physics or economics, specifically as a "quants guy". They are seeking advice and suggestions for internships in this field during the upcoming spring holidays. However, internships in this field are highly competitive and mostly offered by small proprietary trading firms. The individual is recommended to seek assistance from their career services office and finance students or professors.
Johannes
Hello,

I'm currently a 3rd semester Physics Student. I am not really sure in whit direction I want to go, I am tending towards theoretical physics rather than experimental, but I am also interested in ecomonics, so maybe becoming a "quants guy" might be a good idea, but compared with the research work at universities, I know hardly anything about how this job is like, so I would like to do in internship in this field the upcoming spring holidays for about 4 - 8 weeks.
Does anyone of you have any suggestions or advice, like what companies or institutes take interns or what to search for? When looking at the websites of the usual suspects, I can only find short internship programs for MBA students or things like that.

Thank you in advance,

Johannes

Physics news on Phys.org
Johannes said:
Hello,

I'm currently a 3rd semester Physics Student. I am not really sure in whit direction I want to go, I am tending towards theoretical physics rather than experimental, but I am also interested in ecomonics, so maybe becoming a "quants guy" might be a good idea, but compared with the research work at universities, I know hardly anything about how this job is like, so I would like to do in internship in this field the upcoming spring holidays for about 4 - 8 weeks.
Does anyone of you have any suggestions or advice, like what companies or institutes take interns or what to search for? When looking at the websites of the usual suspects, I can only find short internship programs for MBA students or things like that.

Thank you in advance,

Johannes

The best place to start would be your career services office and finance students or professors. The only places hiring quant interns will probably be small proprietary trading firms. See, for example:

http://www.janestreet.com/workplace/internships.php
http://www.hudson-trading.com/careers.php

These internships are extremely competitive and most quantitative trading firms/desks will not offer internships and only hire PhDs. Usually only summer internships are offered anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can understand your dilemma and your interest in exploring different career options. Internships are a great way to gain hands-on experience and get a better understanding of a particular field. In the case of quantitative analysis, internships can provide valuable learning opportunities and help you decide if it is the right career path for you.

To start with, I would recommend networking with professionals in the field of quantitative analysis, either through your university or through online platforms like LinkedIn. They can provide you with insights into the job market and potential internship opportunities. You can also reach out to companies directly and inquire about their internship programs. It may be helpful to have a well-crafted resume and cover letter that highlights your skills and interest in the field.

Additionally, there are many online resources that can help you find internships in quantitative analysis, such as websites like Indeed, Glassdoor, and Internships.com. These platforms allow you to filter your search based on location, duration, and specific skills required.

It is also important to keep in mind that internships in quantitative analysis may not be limited to companies or institutes in the financial sector. Many industries, such as healthcare, technology, and government, also employ quantitative analysts. So, broaden your search and explore different industries to find the right fit for you.

Lastly, don't be discouraged if you don't find an internship right away. Keep networking, building your skills, and staying updated on the latest developments in the field. With persistence and determination, you will find the right opportunity to gain valuable experience as a quantitative analyst. Best of luck in your search!

Related to Internships as a Quantitative Analyst

1. What is a quantitative analyst?

A quantitative analyst is a professional who uses quantitative methods and mathematical modeling to analyze financial and investment data. They work primarily in the finance and investment industry, and are responsible for developing and implementing complex models to make informed decisions about investments and financial strategies.

2. What types of internships are available for quantitative analysts?

Internships for quantitative analysts are typically available in the finance and investment industry, with opportunities in investment banks, hedge funds, asset management firms, and other financial institutions. These internships may focus on specific areas such as risk management, data analysis, or algorithmic trading.

3. What qualifications are needed for an internship as a quantitative analyst?

To be considered for an internship as a quantitative analyst, candidates typically need a strong background in mathematics, statistics, and programming. Many employers also prefer candidates with a degree in a related field such as finance, economics, or computer science. Previous experience with data analysis and modeling is also beneficial.

4. What skills are important for a successful internship as a quantitative analyst?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are essential for a successful internship as a quantitative analyst. Other important skills include attention to detail, strong mathematical and statistical abilities, and proficiency in programming languages such as Python, R, or C++. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for working in a fast-paced and collaborative environment.

5. How can I prepare for an internship as a quantitative analyst?

To prepare for an internship as a quantitative analyst, it is important to develop a strong foundation in mathematics, statistics, and programming. Taking courses in finance, economics, and data analysis can also be beneficial. Networking and connecting with professionals in the industry can also help you gain insight into the field and potentially open up opportunities for internships. Additionally, working on personal projects or participating in competitions related to quantitative analysis can help you develop and showcase your skills.