International student question

In summary, international students should aim to get a bachelor's degree in a physics-related field in their home country before applying to universities in the United States. If you have good grades and can speak English well, you should have a good chance of getting accepted to a US school.
scottbekerham
Hi , Guys . I'm 20 years old international student . I want to apply for an undergraduate physics program at a USA university . I did not graduate from american high school . can you please guide me through some universities but with decent fees . Also I teached myself quantum mechanics and some qft . would this be an advantage ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by 'decent fees'? US schools are very expensive, especially for international students. What's your price range (including tuition, boarding, food, etc)? What kind of grades did you have? What are your test scores? It's pretty hard to prove you thought yourself QM to an admission committee, especially without the background math and physics, so it probably won't help you.

Hi ,I mean by decent fees , the least possible fees. I only want a bachelor degree in physics that will enable me to do PhD level research and I'm not seeking to attend the best university in USA
I got highest grades in my high school in math , physics , chemistry and biology .I know quantum mechanics at the level of cohen tannoudje QM textbook , So I know enough in calculus , linear algebra , group theory , mechanics that enabled me understand QM and I have read the first 3 chapters in Weinberg QFT Cause these subjects , I think , do not depend on previous understanding of thermodynamics or electrodynamics which I did not study.my problem is the language but I think I can work on it .

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=452844".

Unless you want to live in the US for whatever reasons, I will suggest that you earn your bachelors in your country. American schools are really expensive, and each school has different rules regarding financial aid and scholarships.
If you're set on studying in the states then you'd want to take the TOEFL and SAT as soon as possible. If you have good grades then I think you'll get accepted to a lot of schools.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello! I would like to congratulate you on your interest in pursuing an undergraduate physics program at a USA university. The United States is home to some of the top universities in the world for physics, and I am sure you will find a program that suits your interests and goals.

Firstly, not having graduated from an American high school should not hinder your chances of being accepted into a university. Many universities have specific requirements for international students, and as long as you meet those requirements, you should be eligible for admission.

When it comes to finding a university with decent fees, it is important to research and compare the tuition fees of different universities. Some universities may offer scholarships or financial aid for international students, so it is worth looking into those options as well.

Your self-taught knowledge in quantum mechanics and quantum field theory can definitely be seen as an advantage. It shows your dedication and passion for the subject, and it could potentially set you apart from other applicants. Be sure to mention this in your application and highlight any projects or research you have done in these areas.

Some top universities in the USA for undergraduate physics programs include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Stanford University, and Harvard University. However, there are many other universities that offer excellent programs as well, so be sure to research and consider all your options.

I wish you all the best in your application process and future studies in physics. Keep up the hard work and continue to pursue your passion for science.

Related to International student question

What is an international student?

An international student is a student who is studying in a country other than their country of citizenship. This includes students who are studying abroad, as well as students who have immigrated to a new country for the purpose of education.

What are the benefits of being an international student?

Being an international student allows individuals to experience different cultures, gain a global perspective, improve language skills, and develop independence and adaptability. It also opens up opportunities for networking and career advancement.

What are the challenges faced by international students?

Some common challenges faced by international students include language barriers, adjusting to a new culture, homesickness, financial constraints, and difficulties in obtaining visas and work permits. They may also face discrimination and a lack of support from their host country.

How can international students overcome these challenges?

International students can overcome challenges by actively seeking support from their university's international student services office, joining student organizations, and engaging in cultural events and activities. They can also reach out to other international students for support and form a strong support network.

What are some tips for success as an international student?

Some tips for success as an international student include being proactive in seeking help and support, staying organized and on top of academic responsibilities, setting realistic goals, and actively participating in class and extracurricular activities. It is also important to take care of one's physical and mental health, and to embrace and learn from new experiences and challenges.