Internal Resistance of a Battery problem

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of a voltmeter with a resistance of 1000 ohms to measure the voltage of a worn out 1.5V battery, resulting in a reading of 0.9V. The conversation then delved into finding the internal resistance of the battery, with the correct method being to model the battery and its internal resistance in series and using the current and voltage drop to determine the unknown resistance.
dancergirlie

Homework Statement

A voltmeter whose resistance is 1000 ohms measures the voltage of a worn out 1.5V battery as .9V. What is the internal Resistance

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to do this, I Solved for the Equiv Resistance of the circuit (leaving in the unknown Ri) by assuming they were two resistors in parallel. as:

Requiv=(1000+Ri)/(1000Ri)

Using ohms law I calculated the current through the circuit:

1.5=IRequiv

Plugging in my answer for Ri and simplifying I got:

I=(1500+1.5Ri)/1000Ri

Now assuming the resistors are in parallel, I would know that the current through each resistor is the same, meaning that I would get:

V=IRi

assuming the voltage drop across Ri as .6V (because 1.5-.9 is .6) I plugged that in and got:

.6=(1500+1.5Ri)/1000

However, when I solved for Ri, I got a negative number!

Help would be great!

Next, thinking that they were in parallel, the current through both resistors was the same, so

Physics news on Phys.org
Resistors in *series* share the same current. Resistors in parallel share the same voltage (across them).

If the internal resistance of a battery was in parallel with the cell, the battery charge wouldn't last very long -- it would drain away through the internal resistance, creating a lot of heat in the process. Battery internal resistance is modeled as being in series with the cell.

yeah I realized my series/parallel current mixup as soon as I posted.

I know that the internal resistance is in series with the battery, however, I am saying that the voltmeter is in parallel with the battery (or maybe I'm wrong) because a voltmeter is supposed to be in parallel with the resistor (or so I thought)

Draw a circuit diagram. The battery is an ideal cell in series with its internal resistance (draw a box around them - that's the model for the "real" battery). Now connect your voltmeter, represented as a 1000 Ohm resistor, across the battery.

Alright so I think I got this:

If i consider the equiv Resistance as Requiv=(1000+Ri), I could then find the current by saying:

1.5=I(1000+Ri)
and furthermore I=1.5/(1000+Ri)

Using the fact that current is constant through SERIES :) I can say that the voltage drop (which should be .6V right?) is:

.6=(1.5/(Ri+1000))Ri
Cross multiplying I get
.6Ri+600=1.5Ri
and thus Ri=666.67 ohms

I am not sure whether I am supposed to use .6 or .9 V for the V though...

You did good.

You could also have determined the current directly knowing that the voltage drop across the voltmeter was 0.9V and that its resistance is 1000 Ohms.

You also know that the voltage drop across the unknown internal resistance must 1.5V - 0.9V (that is, what's left of the voltage from the battery to be dropped around the circuit).

Given the current and voltage drop, you can determine the value of the unknown resistance.

Thanks so much for your help :)

Related to Internal Resistance of a Battery problem

What is internal resistance of a battery?

Internal resistance of a battery refers to the resistance that exists within the battery itself, which can hinder the flow of current and affect the battery's performance.

What factors affect the internal resistance of a battery?

The internal resistance of a battery can be affected by several factors, including the type of battery, its age, temperature, and the materials used in its construction.

Why is internal resistance important in battery performance?

Internal resistance is important because it can impact the voltage and current output of a battery. A higher internal resistance can lead to a decrease in the battery's performance and efficiency.

How can internal resistance be measured?

Internal resistance can be measured by using a multimeter, which measures the voltage drop across the battery when a known current is drawn from it. The formula V=IR can then be used to calculate the internal resistance.

How can internal resistance be reduced?

Internal resistance can be reduced by using a battery with lower internal resistance, ensuring proper storage and usage of the battery, and keeping it at optimal temperatures. Additionally, using larger wire and minimizing the length of wire connections can also help reduce internal resistance.