Internal motion of atoms and collisions

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of elastic collisions at the macro and quantum level, as well as the concept of irreversibility in mechanical laws. The speaker also mentions the Raman process and deep inelastic scattering as tools for studying nuclei. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the difference between reversible transformations in theory and the practical limitations of restoring particles to their original state after a collision.
Dr.Brain
I was thinking , if we take into account oly the internal motion of atoms , all collisions will turn out to be elastic. Wont they be?

Physics news on Phys.org
In quantum mechanics, photons can scatter off atoms inelastically in what is called a Raman process. Also, the technique known as deep inelastic scattering is a powerful tool for studying the structure of nuclei. So inelastic scattering can happen even at the quantum level.

Last edited:
I am talking at macro-level . The collisions which look to be inelastic viewed form outside due to merging of masses ( in the case of inelastic collisions in which the the two rigid bodies don't mix up after collision but retain their boundary even though they may change their shapes ), but their particles were not allowed to enter each other's boundaries , which would imply they retorted back after collision . At micro-level thsi would mean everything happened elastically even though from outside it appears to be inelastic.

(This thread I posted because I looked at collision from a different point of view..I am in no mood to change any laws...)

BJ

It looks like you are trying to address the question how reversible mechanical laws produce irreversible thermodynamics...

Dr.Brain said:
I was thinking , if we take into account oly the internal motion of atoms , all collisions will turn out to be elastic. Wont they be?

Yes, but some of the collisions may make essentially irreverible changes
even though they are elastic. For example, if a collision is energetic enough
you could split an atom. While this is reversible in principle, it would be very
unlikely that you could put the atoms back the way they were. So in
practice there is effective irreverability even though each individual
transformation is reversible.

Related to Internal motion of atoms and collisions

1. What is the internal motion of atoms?

The internal motion of atoms refers to the movement of the individual particles within an atom, including the electrons, protons, and neutrons. This motion is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics and can be affected by various factors, such as temperature and the presence of other atoms.

2. Why is the internal motion of atoms important?

The internal motion of atoms is important because it plays a crucial role in many physical and chemical processes. For example, it determines the properties of materials, such as their melting and boiling points, and it also affects the rate of chemical reactions.

3. What is a collision between atoms?

A collision between atoms occurs when two or more atoms come into contact with each other and exchange energy or momentum. These collisions can be elastic, meaning that no energy is lost, or inelastic, meaning that some energy is transferred between the atoms.

4. How does the internal motion of atoms affect collisions?

The internal motion of atoms affects collisions in several ways. For one, it determines the speed and direction of the atoms, which can influence the outcome of the collision. Additionally, the internal energy of the atoms can be transferred during a collision, leading to changes in temperature or the formation of new molecules.

5. Can collisions between atoms be controlled?

Yes, collisions between atoms can be controlled through various methods, such as adjusting the temperature or pressure of the environment or using external forces to manipulate the motion of the atoms. This control is essential for many industrial processes, such as in the production of materials or the study of chemical reactions.