Internal Forces on a Truss (Again)

In summary, the problem involves calculating the internal force in member BC of a structure with pin supports at joints A and D. The forces in the y direction were calculated using equilibrium equations and the angle between members AE and AB was found to be 26.57 degrees using trigonometry. However, there is uncertainty in determining further internal forces due to unknown forces at other joints. The next approach is to clarify if member EB is perpendicular to member AG.
smrgn92

Homework Statement

Hello, in the attached file shows a picture of the problem I need to resolve. The question asks to calculate the internal force in the member BC. There is a pin support located at joint A and D, which is not shown in my diagram, and it is also symmetrical, which makes things slightly easier.

Homework Equations

See attached file.

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the forces in the y direction using the equilibrium equation, and then calculated the angle between member AE and AB using basic trigonometry to be 26.57 degrees. I then resolved the internal forces in members AE and AB. However, I am unable to determine what else I can do with resolving further internal forces in this structure. For all other joints, there are at least 2 unknown forces, for which I am unable to determine any other internal forces. What should be my next approach? Thanks, forum.

Attachments

• IMG.pdf
    245.2 KB · Views: 202
Physics news on Phys.org
smrgn92 said:

Homework Statement

Hello, in the attached file shows a picture of the problem I need to resolve. The question asks to calculate the internal force in the member BC. There is a pin support located at joint A and D, which is not shown in my diagram, and it is also symmetrical, which makes things slightly easier.

Homework Equations

See attached file.

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the forces in the y direction using the equilibrium equation, and then calculated the angle between member AE and AB using basic trigonometry to be 26.57 degrees. I then resolved the internal forces in members AE and AB. However, I am unable to determine what else I can do with resolving further internal forces in this structure. For all other joints, there are at least 2 unknown forces, for which I am unable to determine any other internal forces. What should be my next approach? Thanks, forum.
You have an error in getting FAB.
upload_2015-7-12_20-53-57.png

You changed the cosine back into the sine .Also, can you clarify?
Is member EB perpendicular to member AG ?

Thank you, silly mistake there. And I'm not entirely sure, the question doesn't specify, but I'm assuming it is.

Related to Internal Forces on a Truss (Again)

1. How do internal forces affect the stability of a truss?

Internal forces, such as tension and compression, play a crucial role in maintaining the stability of a truss. These forces act on the individual members of the truss and must be balanced in order to prevent any collapse or failure. If the internal forces are not properly distributed or are too large, the truss may buckle or break.

2. How do external loads impact the internal forces on a truss?

External loads, such as weight or applied forces, can create additional internal forces within a truss. These external loads can cause tension or compression in different members of the truss, and it is important to consider their effects when designing a truss structure.

3. How do I calculate the internal forces on a truss?

The internal forces on a truss can be calculated using the method of joints or the method of sections. These methods involve breaking down the truss into smaller sections and analyzing the forces acting on each member. Additionally, computer software programs can also be used to calculate the internal forces on a truss.

4. What is the difference between axial and non-axial forces in a truss?

Axial forces, such as tension and compression, act along the length of a truss member and do not cause any bending or twisting. Non-axial forces, such as shear and bending, can cause deformation in a truss member and must be considered in the overall stability of the truss structure.

5. How does the arrangement of members affect the internal forces on a truss?

The arrangement of members in a truss can greatly impact the internal forces within the structure. A well-designed truss will distribute the forces evenly among the members, while a poorly designed truss may have certain members overloaded with excessive forces. The geometry and placement of members are important factors to consider when designing a truss.