Internal energy pressure dependence

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a computer program to display an enthalpy-pressure diagram for refrigerant 134a. The program uses data and relations from a specific source, but the calculated total enthalpy differs from the diagram in the source. There is a question about the relationship between specific enthalpy and pressure, and whether the specific volume and pressure can compensate for each other to yield a constant enthalpy. The response confirms that u is a function of pressure and provides the equation to calculate the effect of pressure on h. The conversation ends with a thank you and confirmation to implement the equation.
MLars
Hello Physics Forums!

I am currently writing a computer program that displays an enthalpy-pressure diagram for the refrigerant 134a. I am using the data and relation between specific volume, pressure and temperature found in http://eng.sut.ac.th/me/2014/document/LabMechanical1/HFC-134a_SI.pdf. My algorithm is able to calculate the correct volume given a pressure and temperature, however the total enthalpy calculation differs from the diagram found in the above paper.

upload_2015-12-11_22-8-55.png

In particular, in the liquid state, my temperature curves are not that vertical but fall to the right as pressure increases. According to my understanding of specific enthalpy it is defined as h=u+pv where u is a function of only temperature. Now to my question. If the above is true, how can the lines in the diagram be almost vertical when the specific volume is close to constant and the pressure increases by a factor of 10(pv should increase x10). May u be dependent on pressure, compensate for the increasing pv and yield a constant enthalpy? What am I missing?

Thanks a lot
Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
u is a function of pressure. The effect of pressure on h is given by:

$$\left(\frac{\partial h}{\partial P}\right)_T=v-T\left(\frac{\partial v}{\partial T}\right)_P$$

Last edited:
Likes MLars
Chestermiller said:
u is a function of pressure. The effect of pressure on h is given by:

$$\left(\frac{\partial h}{\partial P}\right)_T=v-T\left(\frac{\partial v}{\partial T}\right)_P$$
Alright, nice to have that confirmed! I'll start to implement it.

Thank you Chestermiller:)

Related to Internal energy pressure dependence

What is internal energy pressure dependence?

Internal energy pressure dependence refers to the relationship between the internal energy of a system and the pressure exerted on that system. It is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics and is used to understand the behavior of gases and other systems under various conditions.

How is internal energy pressure dependence related to temperature?

Internal energy pressure dependence is related to temperature through the ideal gas law, which states that pressure is directly proportional to temperature when volume and number of particles are held constant. This means that as temperature increases, the internal energy of a system also increases, resulting in an increase in pressure.

What factors can affect internal energy pressure dependence?

Several factors can affect internal energy pressure dependence, including the number of particles in the system, the volume of the system, and the type of gas or substance in the system. Changes in temperature, pressure, and volume can also impact the relationship between internal energy and pressure.

How is internal energy pressure dependence measured?

Internal energy pressure dependence can be measured through experiments that involve varying the temperature, pressure, and volume of a system and observing the resulting changes in internal energy. This can also be calculated using mathematical equations and models based on the ideal gas law.

Why is understanding internal energy pressure dependence important?

Understanding internal energy pressure dependence is crucial in many fields of science and engineering, including thermodynamics, chemistry, and physics. It allows us to predict and control the behavior of gases and other systems under different conditions, and it has numerous practical applications in industries such as energy production, manufacturing, and environmental science.