Internal Energy of an Expanding Gas

In summary, we have a monatomic ideal gas expanding from state A to B with a constant pressure of 600 N/m2 and a volume change from 3.0 m3 to 9.0 m3. Using the formula w = PΔV, we find that the work done by the gas is 3600 J. To calculate the change in internal energy, we use the formula U = (3/2)nRT and find that it is equal to 860 calories. It is important to note that mechanical work is not equal to heat, and we must use the first law of thermodynamics, ΔU = W + Q, to find the heat supplied to the system. By substituting the relevant values,
triamanda

Homework Statement

2 moles of a monatomic ideal gas expands from state A to state B. PA = PB = 600 N/m2, VA = 3.0 m3 and VB = 9.0 m3.

i. Calculate the work done by the gas as it expands.
ii. Calculate the change in internal energy of the gas as it expands.
iii. Calculate the heat added to or removed from the gas during this expansion.

Homework Equations

ΔE = q-w
w = PΔV
PV = nRT
R = 8.314 J/mol*K

The Attempt at a Solution

i. w = PΔV
w = (600)(9-6) = 3600 J

ii. 4.186 J of work = cal of heat ?
3600/4.186 = 860 cals

I'm having troubles with ii and iii, I'm not sure if the converting of the work into calories is correct. I've looked at all the possible formulas and I'm not sure how to go about finding internal energy with only pressure and volume. Help, please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you come across the formula:
[tex]U = \frac{3}{2}nRT[/tex]​
for an ideal gas? This should be found in any standard textbook.
So you just have to find [tex]U_{2} - U_{1}[/tex] for the change in internal energy.

No, mechanical work is not equal to heat! They are separate concepts. You have to use the first law of thermodynamics
[tex]\Delta U = W + Q[/tex]​
where [tex]\Delta U[/tex] = change in internal energy, W = work done on the gas, Q = heat supplied to the system.
I see that you have already written a variant of the equation under "relevant equations". You just have to use that equation and substitute the relevant values.

Ahhh, I haven't seen that formula!
I've got it now, thank you.

Related to Internal Energy of an Expanding Gas

What is internal energy of an expanding gas?

The internal energy of an expanding gas refers to the total energy of the gas due to the motion and interactions of its molecules. It includes both the kinetic energy of the molecules and the potential energy of their interactions.

How is internal energy affected by expansion of a gas?

When a gas expands, its internal energy increases due to the work done by the expanding gas against its surroundings. This increase in internal energy is a result of the molecules moving farther apart and having more space to move around, thus increasing their kinetic energy.

What is the relationship between internal energy and temperature?

Internal energy and temperature are directly related. As the temperature of a gas increases, the average kinetic energy of its molecules also increases, leading to an increase in internal energy. Similarly, a decrease in temperature results in a decrease in internal energy.

Can the internal energy of an expanding gas change without a change in temperature?

Yes, the internal energy of an expanding gas can change without a change in temperature if work is done on or by the gas. This is because work done by or on the gas changes the potential energy of the gas molecules, thus changing its internal energy without changing its temperature.

How is the internal energy of an expanding gas related to its pressure and volume?

The internal energy of an expanding gas is directly proportional to its pressure and volume. An increase in pressure or a decrease in volume results in an increase in internal energy, while a decrease in pressure or an increase in volume results in a decrease in internal energy.