Internal Energy Changes in Various Systems

In summary: For the second question, conceptually thinking about this I would say that the clay would get hotter due to the kinetic energy that it has upon hitting the ground. This would be similar to an exothermic process where heat is removed from the clay into the surroundings. Is this thinking correct?Yes, q and w for this case are both zero. So, since ##ΔU+ΔKE=q-w##, we are left with ##ΔU=-ΔKE##. The change in kinetic energy of the clay is negative because it is initially moving and then stops. So ##ΔU>0##. The positive change in internal energy of the clay is related to the
brake4country

Homework Statement

In which of the following cases does the internal energy of the described system increase:
(I) A clay ball is dropped and sticks to the ground
(II) Hydrogen and oxygen react exothermically to form water
(III) A car is driven at constant speed (consider the effect of air resistance)

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

When I look at I and III, I think of kinetic energy and potential energy (if elevated). But then when I think of internal energy, I think chemical reactions. How can a macroscopic object such as I and III have an increase in internal energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
If a chemical reaction is carried out exothermally in a constant volume reactor, does that mean that heat is added to the reactor or that heat is removed form the reactor to return the temperature of products to the original temperature of the reactants? So what is the sign of Q? What does that tell you about the sign of ΔU?

If a falling ball of clay has kinetic energy when it hits the ground and the deformation of the clay takes place without any heat transfer from the clay to its surroundings, does the ground do work to deform the clay? What does that tell you about the sign of ΔU?

Chet

Likes Erico Romaric
If the volume remains constant when an exothermic reaction takes place, then q would be positive, which means that ΔU would be positive, right? This would mean that heat is added to the system, thus giving the system potential to do work.

KE = W with macroscopic systems, so a ball of clay with kinetic energy has the potential to do work without heat. Please let me know if my logic here is correct. Thanks!

Likes Erico Romaric
brake4country said:
If the volume remains constant when an exothermic reaction takes place, then q would be positive, which means that ΔU would be positive, right? This would mean that heat is added to the system, thus giving the system potential to do work.
Exothermic means that q is negative. Heat is removed from the system. How much work is actually done by a material in a constant volume reactor? Is ΔU positive or negative?
KE = W with macroscopic systems, so a ball of clay with kinetic energy has the potential to do work without heat. Please let me know if my logic here is correct. Thanks!
The work that the system does on the surroundings is zero, because the displacement of the ground is virtually zero. So the work done by the ground on the clay ball is also zero. Don't forget that, when there is a significant change in kinetic energy, the first law must be modified to ##ΔU+ΔKE=Q-W##. So the kinetic energy gets converted into internal energy. So, is ΔU positive or negative (i.e., does the ball of clay get hotter or colder when it goes splat?)

Chet

Last edited:
Likes Erico Romaric
Okay, a lot of great questions! So, for the first one, no work is done if the volume remains constant. This is an isovolumetric system. If heat were to go into the system, then it would be endothermic and the q would be positive.

For the second question, conceptually thinking about this I would say that the clay would get hotter due to the kinetic energy that it has upon hitting the ground. This would be similar to an exothermic process where heat is removed from the clay into the surroundings. Is this thinking correct?

Therefore, q is negative then ΔU must be negative also. Correct?

brake4country said:
Okay, a lot of great questions! So, for the first one, no work is done if the volume remains constant. This is an isovolumetric system. If heat were to go into the system, then it would be endothermic and the q would be positive.
Right. Since it's exothermic, q is negative.

For the second question, conceptually thinking about this I would say that the clay would get hotter due to the kinetic energy that it has upon hitting the ground. This would be similar to an exothermic process where heat is removed from the clay into the surroundings. Is this thinking correct?
No. q and w for this case are both zero. So, since ##ΔU+ΔKE=q-w##, we are left with ##ΔU=-ΔKE##. The change in kinetic energy of the clay is negative because it is initially moving and then stops. So ##ΔU>0##. The positive change in internal energy of the clay is related to the temperature rise by ##ΔU=mCΔT##. So the temperature also rises.

Chet

Likes brake4country

Related to Internal Energy Changes in Various Systems

What is internal energy?

Internal energy is the total energy stored within a substance or system. It includes the kinetic energy of molecules, as well as potential energy due to the arrangement and interactions of the molecules.

What causes a decrease in internal energy?

A decrease in internal energy can be caused by a decrease in temperature, a decrease in pressure, or a change in the physical state of the substance. It can also be caused by energy transfer to the surroundings through processes such as heat transfer or work.

How is a decrease in internal energy measured?

A decrease in internal energy can be measured by changes in temperature, pressure, or volume of the substance. These changes can be monitored through experiments and calculations using thermodynamic equations.

What are the consequences of a decrease in internal energy?

A decrease in internal energy can lead to a decrease in the overall temperature of the substance, a decrease in the rate of chemical reactions, and a change in the physical state of the substance. It can also cause the substance to release energy to the surroundings in the form of heat or work.

Can internal energy ever be completely decreased?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. Therefore, it is not possible for internal energy to be completely decreased, as it will always exist in some form within a substance or system.