Internal and center of mass energies

In summary, the pieces of an object with kinetic energy K explode into two pieces with twice the speed of the original object. The internal and center-of-mass energies are compared after the explosion. The attempt at a solution is to equate the original kinetic energy with the sum of the final kinetic energies of the two parts. The ratio KEi/KE(CoM) is found to be 3.
negation

Homework Statement

An object with kinetic energy K explodes into two pieces, each of which moves with twice the speed of the original object.

Compare the internal and center-of-mass energies after the explosion.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let K1 be the kinetic energy of the main object before the explosion. k2 and k3 be the kinetic energies after explosion.

K1 = k2 + k3

Let K1 = 0.5m1v12 = K

Then

0.5m1v12 = 0.5m2v22 + 0.5m3v32

and since each pieces has twice the velocity of the original piece befor explosion

0.5m1v2 = 0.5m2(2v)2 + 0.5m3(2v)2

∴ 0.5m1v2 = 0.5(4v2)(m2+m3)

Physics news on Phys.org
negation said:

Homework Statement

An object with kinetic energy K explodes into two pieces, each of which moves with twice the speed of the original object.

Compare the internal and center-of-mass energies after the explosion.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let K1 be the kinetic energy of the main object before the explosion. k2 and k3 be the kinetic energies after explosion.

K1 = k2 + k3

Let K1 = 0.5m1v12 = K

Then

0.5m1v12 = 0.5m2v22 + 0.5m3v32

and since each pieces has twice the velocity of the original piece befor explosion

0.5m1v2 = 0.5m2(2v)2 + 0.5m3(2v)2

∴ 0.5m1v2 = 0.5(4v2)(m2+m3)
I am not following what you are doing. You seem to be equating the original kinetic energy to the sum of the final kinetic energies of the two parts? Why would k1 = k2 + k3?

Think of the problem this way: In the frame of reference of the centre of mass does the body have any energy before the explosion? How about after?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
I am not following what you are doing. You seem to be equating the original kinetic energy to the sum of the final kinetic energies of the two parts? Why would k1 = k2 + k3?

Think of the problem this way: In the frame of reference of the centre of mass does the body have any energy before the explosion? How about after?

AM

I equate them because the total energy is the sum of the KE of each particle.

However, I may be wrong.

I think it's good to ask what internal kinetic energy is and what center of mass kinetic enegry is and why kint + kcm = Ktotal

Andrew Mason said:

AM

What's the definition of the frame of reference of the center of mass?

The problem asks the center-of-mass energy and the internal energy after the explosion. I do not see any of them in your post.

I see, you assumed conservation of energy. It is not true in an explosion.

ehild

ehild said:
The problem asks the center-of-mass energy and the internal energy after the explosion. I do not see any of them in your post.

I see, you assumed conservation of energy. It is not true in an explosion.

ehild
Where can we go from here?

Ktotal = [itex]\sum[/itex]0.5mivcm2 + [itex]\sum[/itex]0.5mivirel2 + [itex]\sum[/itex]mivirelvcm

Edit: why is a particle relative velocity to COM zero?

Last edited:
kint = 0.5m1vcm = m1vcm2
there are 2 pieces so 2m1vcm^2
kint/kcm = 4 but the answer is 3.

I spent 4 hrs on this. It's not going anywhere and very agonizing/

The CoM will travel with the same velocity as before the explosion, as the forces are internal. So the center-of mass KE is the same as the initial KE:

KECoM=1/2 m1v12

If m2 and m3 are the masses after the explosion, and m2+m3=m1, the total KE is

KE(total)=1/2 (m2v12+m3v32=2v12m1

The internal energy is the difference between the total energy and the energy of the translation of the CoM:

KE(internal)= KE(total)-KE(CoM)

So what is the ratio KEi/KE(CoM)?

ehild

ehild said:
The CoM will travel with the same velocity as before the explosion, as the forces are internal. So the center-of mass KE is the same as the initial KE:

KECoM=1/2 m1v12

If m2 and m3 are the masses after the explosion, and m2+m3=m1, the total KE is

KE(total)=1/2 (m2v12+m3v32=2v12m1

The internal energy is the difference between the total energy and the energy of the translation of the CoM:

KE(internal)= KE(total)-KE(CoM)

So what is the ratio KEi/KE(CoM)?

ehild
I have managed to solve it by drawing it out and using geometry. However, one question persist when I attempt to derive K= Kint + Kcm.

Why is [itex]\sum[/itex] mivirel2 = 0?

Are vi rel the relative velocities with respect to the CoM? How did you get that ∑ mivirel2 = 0? It is certainly wrong. What are the relative velocities? The pieces move in opposite directions, and have different masses. The velocity of one piece is v2=2v1, its relative velocity with respect to the CoM is v2rel=v1.
The other piece has velocity v3=-2v1. Its relative velocity is -2v1-v1=-3v1.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
Are vi rel the relative velocities with respect to the CoM? How did you get that ∑ mivirel2 = 0? What are the relative velocities? ehild

Yes

My initial premise is

K = [itex]\sum[/itex]0.5 mivi2

but vi = (vcm + virel) (it would be great if someone can give me an intuitive sense of why vi = (vcm + virel)

then we have K = [itex]\sum[/itex]0.5mi(virel+vcm).(vcm+virel)

= [itex]\sum[/itex]0.5mivcm2 + [itex]\sum[/itex]mivcm . virel2 + [itex]\sum[/itex] mivirel2

and then the book states [itex]\sum[/itex]mivcm.virel = 0 because virel = 0 since it is the particle's velocity relative to the COM.
Unsure what this means.

negation said:
Yes

My initial premise is

K = [itex]\sum[/itex]0.5 mivi2

but vi = (vcm + virel) (it would be great if someone can give me an intuitive sense of why vi = (vcm + virel)

then we have K = [itex]\sum[/itex]0.5mi(virel+vcm).(vcm+virel)= [itex]\sum[/itex]0.5mivcm2 + [itex]\sum[/itex]mivcm . virel2 + [itex]\sum[/itex] mivirel2

and then the book states [itex]\sum[/itex]mivcm.virel = 0 because virel = 0 since it is the particle's velocity relative to the COM.
Unsure what this means.

I edited my previous post, read it.

Your formula is wrong. There is no square in the second term.

Recall how the CoM is defined.
The velocity of the CoM is VCoM=(∑mivi)/∑mi.

Virel=Vi-VCoM. Virel is not zero, but ∑miVirel=0

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
I edited my previous post, read it.

Your formula is wrong. There is no square in the second term.

Recall how the CoM is defined.
The velocity of the CoM is VCoM=(∑mivi)/∑mi.

Virel=Vi-VCoM. Virel is not zero, but ∑miVirel=0

ehild

The square was a typo. It's hard to see what is going on with all the brackets when using tex.

Related to Internal and center of mass energies

1. What is the difference between internal and center of mass energies?

Internal energy refers to the total energy contained within a system, including both its thermal and potential energies. Center of mass energy, on the other hand, refers to the energy associated with the motion of the center of mass of a system.

2. How are internal and center of mass energies related?

The internal energy of a system can contribute to the total center of mass energy, but they are not directly proportional. For example, a system with a high internal energy may not necessarily have a high center of mass energy if the internal energy is in the form of thermal energy rather than kinetic energy.

3. What factors affect the internal and center of mass energies of a system?

The internal energy of a system can be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and the number of particles in the system. Center of mass energy, on the other hand, is primarily affected by the mass and velocity of the particles in the system.

4. How do internal and center of mass energies play a role in energy conservation?

Internal and center of mass energies are both forms of energy that are conserved in a closed system. This means that the total internal and center of mass energies of a system will remain constant unless an external force or energy is introduced.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding internal and center of mass energies?

Understanding internal and center of mass energies is crucial in fields such as thermodynamics, chemical reactions, and nuclear physics. It is also important in designing and analyzing energy systems such as engines, rockets, and power plants.