Intermolecular forces and boiling point

In summary, intermolecular forces, specifically dipole interactions, cause the boiling point of hydrochloric acid solutions to be higher than water. When ions in an electrolyte like hydrochloric acid are collected on a charged surface and then grounded, thermal energy is needed for the ions to disperse and establish intermolecular forces.
Samson4
I've come to understand that intermolecular forces cause the boiling point of hydrochloric acid solutions below 20% to be higher than the boiling point of water. I also understand that dissolving hcl in water is an exothermic reaction. But, what about those intermolecular forces. I assume they are dipole interactions.

My question: If ions in an electrolyte like hydrochloric acid are made to collect on a charged surface, will they absorb heat when the charged surface is grounded? I think they will because, as they spread out and homogenize, they will reform the interactions that require heat to break. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Come again? "Absorb heat when the charged surface is grounded?"

When a conductor is charged in an electrolyte; ions move towards the conductor. When the conductor is grounded, the ions disperse in the electrolyte. I am asking if thermal energy is needed for the ions to disperse and establish intermolecular forces.

1. What are intermolecular forces?

Intermolecular forces are the attractive forces that exist between molecules. They are responsible for holding molecules together and determining the physical properties of substances, such as boiling point.

2. What are the different types of intermolecular forces?

The different types of intermolecular forces are London dispersion forces, dipole-dipole interactions, and hydrogen bonding. London dispersion forces are the weakest type of intermolecular force and exist between all molecules. Dipole-dipole interactions occur between polar molecules, while hydrogen bonding occurs between molecules that have a hydrogen atom bonded to a highly electronegative atom, such as oxygen or nitrogen.

3. How do intermolecular forces affect boiling point?

Intermolecular forces play a significant role in determining the boiling point of a substance. The stronger the intermolecular forces, the higher the boiling point will be. This is because it takes more energy to break the attractive forces between molecules and allow them to escape into the gas phase.

4. How does molecular size affect intermolecular forces and boiling point?

Molecular size can affect intermolecular forces and boiling point in two ways. First, larger molecules tend to have stronger London dispersion forces, which means they will have a higher boiling point. Additionally, larger molecules have a larger surface area, which allows for more opportunities for intermolecular forces to act, resulting in a higher boiling point.

5. Can intermolecular forces be manipulated to change the boiling point of a substance?

Yes, intermolecular forces can be manipulated to change the boiling point of a substance. For example, adding a solute to a solvent can disrupt the intermolecular forces between the molecules of the solvent, resulting in a lower boiling point. This is the principle behind boiling point elevation in solutions. Similarly, changing the molecular size or polarity of a substance can also affect intermolecular forces and ultimately, the boiling point.