Intermediate-Calculate a weight using conservation of energy

In summary, the problem involves calculating the weight of a block, W, using the law of energy conservation. The author of the problem does not provide a detailed procedure for solving it, but it can be solved by assuming certain properties of the system and applying the conservation of energy law. The equation for the change in potential energy must be written and summed to zero in order to solve for W. The problem does not take into account friction, but if it did, additional energy would need to be accounted for.
Aleoa

Homework Statement

Schermata 2018-04-07 10:09:37.png

This problem comes from the Feynman Lectures. However, the author doesn't explain in detail the procedure to solve the problem.
I have to calculate the weight W using only the law of energy conservation.

Homework Equations

In the second picture W it is lowered of 5 units.
The known weight block is 1 lb.

How can I solve this problem and why ?
In order to apply conservation of energy do I have to assume some properties of this system we are studying?
Thank so much

Attachments

• Schermata 2018-04-07 10:09:37.png
    Schermata 2018-04-07 10:09:37.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 615
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: The string is a fixed length but if the height of one mass changes the height of the other mass doesn't change by the same amount due to the slope.

If i apply some force on W and i let it down for 5 units of length (like the pictures), the same force is applyed to the 1 lb block, so the net energy cancels out. However, since the displacement of 5 units of length of W generated the same energy (in absolute value) of 3 units of length of 1 lb ---> W = 3/5 lb.

It's okay or it's possible to do better ? Feynman asks to solve with using only the conservation of energy law...

What's the equation for the change in PE?

How it's possible to change the configuration of the blocks without violating the conservation of energy law ?

Why if i apply a force on the block W, that makes it go down, I'm SURE that the net energy is balanced by a amount of negative energy produced by the 1 lb block, so that the total energy is 0 ?

Aleoa said:
How it's possible to change the configuration of the blocks without violating the conservation of energy law ?

The problem statement does not mention friction. So there are no losses that have to be overcome.

Why if i apply a force on the block W, that makes it go down, I'm SURE that the net energy is balanced by a amount of negative energy produced by the 1 lb block, so that the total energy is 0 ?

Correct.

The problem statement tells you to use this fact (conservation of energy).

Write an equation for the change in PE and sum it to zero... Eg...

Change in PE of W + Change in PE of 1kg = 0

Solve for W.

Likes Aleoa
CWatters said:
Write an equation for the change in PE and sum it to zero... Eg...

Change in PE of W + Change in PE of 1kg = 0

Solve for W.

If i solve the equation you correctly suggest, i will obtain W = 3/5 lb.

My question is a little more subtle. If we are in a real case ( and we consider the lever as reversible, even if in reality isn't possible) and i want to go from the configuration 1 (where W is up) to configuration 2 (where W is down), i have to exert some energy in the system.
Why this transitory is neglected and we consider only the two configurations, and not the transitory that allowed to go from configuration 1 to configuration 2 ?

Aleoa said:
My question is a little more subtle. If we are in a real case ( and we consider the lever as reversible, even if in reality isn't possible) and i want to go from the configuration 1 (where W is up) to configuration 2 (where W is down), i have to exert some energy in the system.
Why this transitory is neglected and we consider only the two configurations, and not the transitory that allowed to go from configuration 1 to configuration 2 ?

Let us break it down into steps...

Assumptions:

The string has zero mass
m = total mass of both W and 1lb.
There is no friction

Steps:

1) Configuration 1 - system is stationary
2) You apply a force that accelerates the system to some velocity V (eg the system gains KE=0.5mv^2).
3) The system moves at constant velocity V. (Mass W looses some PE, 1lb mass gains some PE, KE is constant)
4) You apply a force that decelerates the system from V down to zero (eg The system looses KE=0.5mv^2)
5) Configuration 2 - system is stationary

So the KE gained in step 2) is the same as that lost in 4). So we do not need to consider it.

Likes Aleoa
If there is friction Ff then to move the weights additional energy is required. How you account for this depends on how the initial force is applied.

One way is to apply a small additional force, let's call it F+ constantly to counteract friction. In other words F+ and Ff are equal and opposite. That way the weights don't slow down in step 3.

If d is the distance moved then...

Without friction...

ΔKE + ΔPE = 0

with friction

ΔKE + ΔPE + F+*d + Ff*d= 0

Remember that F+ and Ff act in opposite directions.

Likes Aleoa

Related to Intermediate-Calculate a weight using conservation of energy

1. How is energy conserved in weight calculation?

Energy is conserved in weight calculation by using the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. This means that the total amount of energy before and after a weight calculation remains the same.

2. What is the formula for calculating weight using conservation of energy?

The formula for calculating weight using conservation of energy is W = mgh, where W is the weight in newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height in meters.

3. Can the conservation of energy principle be applied to all weight calculations?

Yes, the conservation of energy principle can be applied to all weight calculations as long as the weight is being lifted against the force of gravity. This includes scenarios such as lifting objects vertically, moving objects up an inclined plane, or using a pulley system.

4. How does the height of an object affect its weight?

The height of an object affects its weight by increasing or decreasing the potential energy of the object. The higher an object is lifted, the more potential energy it has and therefore the greater its weight will be. This is because the object has to overcome a greater distance against the force of gravity to reach that height.

5. What are some real-life applications of using conservation of energy to calculate weight?

Some real-life applications of using conservation of energy to calculate weight include determining the weight of an elevator's cargo, calculating the weight of a person climbing a mountain, and determining the weight of an object being lifted by a crane. This principle is also used in engineering and construction to ensure the safety and stability of structures.