Predicting Light Bounce: Mirror vs Wall

In summary, the rule that angle of incidence equals angle of reflection (or whatever the right terminology is) applies when the surface is polished such that its roughness is small compared to the wavelength of the light striking it. For something as rough as painted wallboard, there would presumably be some sort of distribution curve of reflection angles vs. angle of incidence. The curve might have a peak where the two angles are equal, but not a real sharply-defined peak the way a polished surface does.
Alkatran
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
To start, I don't actually mean "how" (the means by which) but rather how to predict where it will bounce.

Is it always going to bounce off like it does in a mirror (first angle = end angle relative to line perp to mirror). If so, why is it when you shine a flashlight on a wall, you see the "circle of light" on the wall from any position (if it always bounced straight wouldn't the light seem to come fom somewhere else dpending on where you stood?)? Does light bounce off walls in a sphere-like shape?

Science news on Phys.org
Don't take me too seriously, I am just yammering... I would say that the rule that angle of incidence equals angle of reflection (or whatever the right terminology is) applies when the surface is polished such that its roughness is small compared to the wavelength of the light striking it. For something as rough as painted wallboard, there would presumably be some sort of distribution curve of reflection angles vs. angle of incidence. The curve might have a peak where the two angles are equal, but not a real sharply-defined peak the way a polished surface does.

Maybe a good model for a rough surface would be a whole bunch of tiny little mirrors butted up to one another but pointing in directions in a chaotic sort of way.

It is called scattering, and yes, it is due to the roughness of the surface.
Non reflective camera lenses prevent any scattering by having an incredibly thin layer on the outside. So, when light hits a lens like this, non is scattered or reflected back - it all travels through.
It is clever how it works...

So, theoritcly, if you had perfectly smooth walls, and you turned a light on... it would be similar to a mirror in that the light would seem to come from the wall.. hmmm

THere's a little more going on. Even if you polished a surface that was not metallic, you would still see the wall that is illuminated by your flashlight. THis is unlike a metallic mirror which would be "invisible" (if the mirror was ideal, and no dust was on its surface). That which goes on in non-metallic reflection is a case of absorption and reemission.

THe molecules in the surface of the "wall" absorb the light that falls on it. Some of the light turns into thermal energy and some of the light is reemitted. THe light that is reemitted does not have to follow the law of reflection, so it will be scattered in all directions.

Depending on the chemical make up of the wall's surface, the absorbed light will be of specific ranges of frequencies, and the reemitted light will be other ranges of frequencies. THis means that no matter how well you polish a red wall, it will still look red.

Metallic reflections operate slightly differently due to the "free electrons" that coat the surface of metallic conductors, so smooth metals do reflect according to the law of reflection.

Ok, so in a way the light actually does hit, then expand in a sphere, hit, expand... So brightness from an object is proportional to 1/DistanceTravelled^2 and the number of impacts... hmm

And I knew it would change color, I just meant it would seem like the light (with the new color) was coming from the wall.

I like Chi's answer better than my own yammering. :wink:

1. How does a mirror reflect light differently than a wall?

A mirror has a smooth and polished surface that reflects light at an angle that is equal to the angle at which it hits the surface. This creates a clear and sharp reflection of the object. In contrast, a wall has a rough and uneven surface that scatters light in multiple directions, resulting in a diffuse reflection.

2. Why do mirrors appear to reflect images more accurately than walls?

As mentioned earlier, mirrors have a smooth surface that reflects light at the same angle as it hits the surface. This creates a clear and accurate reflection, making it appear as if the image is behind the mirror. In contrast, a wall's rough surface scatters light, resulting in a distorted and less accurate reflection.

3. Can light bounce off a mirror and a wall differently?

Yes, light bounces off a mirror and a wall differently due to the difference in their surfaces. As mentioned earlier, a mirror reflects light at the same angle as it hits the surface, while a wall scatters light in multiple directions. This results in a clear and sharp reflection on a mirror and a diffuse reflection on a wall.

4. Is predicting light bounce a simple process?

Predicting light bounce involves understanding the properties of the surface and the angle at which light hits it. While the basic concept of light bouncing off a mirror and a wall is simple, predicting the exact angle and direction of the reflected light can be complex and requires advanced mathematical calculations.

5. How can understanding light bounce help in real-life situations?

Understanding light bounce can help in various real-life situations, such as interior design, photography, and architecture. For example, knowing how light bounces off different surfaces can help in creating the desired lighting and ambiance in a room. In photography, understanding light bounce can help in capturing the perfect shot by manipulating the direction and intensity of light. In architecture, it can aid in designing buildings with optimal natural lighting and energy efficiency.