Interference of waves from two sources.

In summary, the question is about determining whether a point 4m in front of one of two identical speakers, 2m apart, will experience maximum constructive interference, perfect destructive interference, or something in between. The variables L=(m)xW/2 and L=nxW are used to calculate the point at which constructive and destructive interference occur, respectively. However, since the distance between the speakers and the point of interest is not a multiple of the wavelength, the interference will be somewhere in between. The question is asking for the difference in path lengths between the two speakers and the point of interest, which can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. Ultimately, it is the difference in path lengths, not the specific distances, that
nicksim117

Homework Statement

Having a real tough time with this problem was wondering if anybody could help

Two identical loudspeakers 2 m apart are emitting 1800hz sound waves into a room where the speed of sound is 340m/s. Is the point 4m directly in front of one of the speakers, perpendicular to the plane of the speakers , a point of maximum constructive interference, perfect destructive interference, or somthing in between

Homework Equations

L=(m)xW/2 destructive
L=nxW constructive

The Attempt at a Solution

If L=4m then for constructive n would have to equal 0,1,2,3...whole #
If L is perfectly destructive then m would have to equal 1,3,5...odd #
Is that correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nicksim117 said:
2. Homework Equations
L=(m)xW/2 destructive
L=nxW constructive
What is L? The equations look right, I just want to see if you know what the variables mean. From your attempt, I think you got it confused with a very similar equation for resonance.

To get your answers for this question, you are going to have to do more than simply plug in values into equations and get answers immediately. It requires that you understand what happens

So start again - and this time, have a more fundamental equation as well.

[tex]v\,\,=\,\,f\cdot\lambda [/tex] where v is the speed of the wave, f is the frequency, and lambda is the wavelength.

Make a drawing. Show the sources 2m apart. Show the point 4m away from one where the interference is supposed to happen.

Imagine the waves leaving the speakers in phase. One travels 4m. The wave from the other source has to get to the same point over a different distance. It may or may not be in phase (constructive) by the time it arrives. Think wavelengths!

I did make a drawing. I have the point drawn out in front of two speakers which are 2m apartfrom each other. I can picture the waves coming at the object. but don't know how to tell if they are constructive or destructive. wave length is .188m if i plug the wl into either equation I don't get the proper values for n or m.

does this mean that it is somewhere in between?

L should be 4m is that right?

L should be 4m or 2m

nicksim117 said:
does this mean that it is somewhere in between?

Yes, that is exactly what it means. Since the distance is not a multiple of the wavelength, the crests do not line up with each other and neither do the troughs. Since it is not a multiple of wavelengths plus a half of a wavelength apart, the troughs do not line-up with the crests and so do not cancel completely.

nicksim117 said:
L should be 4m or 2m

L should be the distance between the two point sources, so L=2.

where would apply the 4m? should I find the distance from the second speaker to the point that is 4m directly in front of one of the speakers or am i thinking about this to hard?

or is the 4m not important. I am confused about the value of 4m and where to plug it into the equation.

nicksim117 said:
where would apply the 4m? should I find the distance from the second speaker to the point that is 4m directly in front of one of the speakers or am i thinking about this to hard?

You do not need the distance in this case, because the three points (two points sources and the location you are interested in) lie in a straight line. Since it is the difference in distance that you are interested in, for a straight line this is just the distance between them.

Ok, I thought that they were 2m apart and so one would be 4m from point A and the other would be 4.47m from point A

nicksim117 said:
Ok, I thought that they were 2m apart and so one would be 4m from point A and the other would be 4.47m from point A

4.47m from point A? :confused: How?

A2+B2=C2
If I square the distance from one point and add it to distance squared for the speakers then the square root of that would give me the distance from speaker two to point A wouldn't it.

It would be the hypotenuse.

I thought that is what the questions is asking. so you would have point A or whatever you want to call it 4m from one speaker , and 4.47m from the other. Am I reading the question wrong?

Umm, try to draw the picture. You don't need to use Pythagoras.

Hi nicksim117,

nicksim117 said:
I thought that is what the questions is asking. so you would have point A or whatever you want to call it 4m from one speaker , and 4.47m from the other. Am I reading the question wrong?

That sounds right to me: the detector is 4m from one speaker and 4.47m from the other. You now want to compare the difference in these path lengths with the wavelength. If the path length difference is a integer multiple of a wavelength, then it is a constructive point. If it is an "integer plus a half" wavelength (like 0.5 [itex]\lambda[/itex],1.5 [itex]\lambda[/itex], etc.) then it is destructive interference.

The hypotenuse is it.
That is the distance the wave from one source has to cover to get to the point where the action is.
4m is the distance the wave from the other source has to cover.

Next trick is - discover how long is a wavelength, so also you know what is a half-wavelength.

You may be disappointed to discover that the distances in the scenario do not happen to be so that you could conveniently fit an exact number of whole wavelengths, or even an odd number of half-wavelengths into either path.

But that does not matter! It is the difference in their path lengths that is important. If one wave got to travel that bit further such that its wave ended up arriving out of phase with the other, it would cancel. Maybe, in this case, it would add.

The passing of wave peaks and troughs past the observer point is a continuous thing. Do not confuse the direct pressure peaks and troughs of a sound wave passing with the maximums and minimums of the envelope of two waves mixing, either cancelling or augmenting each other depending on where the observer puts the microphone (or his ear). The sound waves themselves travel at speed, but the pattern of loud spots and dead spots do not move about. They stay put!

Although not strictly necessary, some folk like to express the difference distance in terms of wavelength degrees, because it helps visualize the values in between. You know a wavelength. Thats 360 degrees. Destructive happens most effectively at 180 degrees. I know I didn't give the full answer, but I think by now it should not be too tough to figure. :smile:

Related to Interference of waves from two sources.

1. What is interference of waves from two sources?

Interference of waves from two sources is a phenomenon where two waves, originating from different sources, meet and interact with each other. This interaction can result in either constructive interference, where the amplitude of the resulting wave is increased, or destructive interference, where the amplitude is decreased.

2. How does interference of waves from two sources occur?

Interference of waves from two sources occurs when two waves with the same frequency and wavelength meet at a specific point. The waves will interfere with each other, either reinforcing or cancelling each other out, depending on their relative phase.

3. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves with the same amplitude and phase meet, resulting in a wave with a larger amplitude. Destructive interference, on the other hand, occurs when two waves with opposite phases meet, resulting in a wave with a smaller amplitude.

4. How do you calculate the resulting wave from interference of two waves?

The resulting wave from interference of two waves can be calculated using the principle of superposition, which states that the displacement of the resulting wave at any point is equal to the sum of the individual displacements of the two interfering waves at that point.

5. What are some real-life applications of interference of waves from two sources?

Interference of waves from two sources is an important concept in many fields, including optics, acoustics, and electronics. It is used in technologies such as noise-cancelling headphones, radio communication, and holograms. It is also studied in natural phenomena, such as the interference of ocean waves and the formation of rainbows.