Interference in 2D (wavefronts)

In summary, the conversation discusses circular wave fronts emitted by two wave sources and the construction of a table to determine the interference at different points. The table is filled in with distances as multiples of λ and indicates whether the interference is constructive or destructive. There is a question about incorrect calculations for r2 for points P and R, which is resolved by accounting for the phase difference between the two sources.
~ak~

Homework Statement

The figure shows the circular wave fronts emitted by two wave sources.

Make a table with rows labeled P, Q, and R and columns labeled r1, r2, [tex]\Delta[/tex]r, and C/D. Fill in the table for points P, Q, and R, giving the distances as multiples of [tex]\lambda[/tex] and indicating, with a C or a D, whether the interference at that point is constructive or destructive

Homework Equations

no real formula, given, just count the rings in the wave front pattern

The Attempt at a Solution

so i got mostly everything except r2 for P and R...im thinking it should be 7/2[tex]\lambda[/tex] for both, but apparently its not...what am i doing wrong?

Attachments

• 21.EX26.jpg
    21.EX26.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 1,349
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics forums.

Is the distance from "2" to the smallest ring equal to λ or λ/2?

What did you get for r2 and Q, that was verified as correct?

thanks a lot redbelly...i can't believe i missed that, but i do have another question regarding this question. I can see that the 2 sources are out of phase but the only explanation that I can give is that 2 in-phase sources emit circular or spherical waves and these 2 dont. Is that correct?

Not quite, out-of-phase point sources emit circular or spherical waves as well. It's just a matter of accounting for that phase difference when figuring out where there's constructive or destructive interference.

Related to Interference in 2D (wavefronts)

1. What is interference in 2D?

Interference in 2D refers to the phenomenon where two or more wavefronts intersect and interact with each other, resulting in either constructive or destructive interference. This can occur with any type of wave, such as light, sound, or water waves.

2. How does interference in 2D occur?

Interference in 2D occurs when two or more wavefronts with the same frequency and amplitude intersect at a specific angle. The superposition of these wavefronts causes them to either reinforce or cancel each other out, resulting in the interference pattern.

3. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two wavefronts with the same amplitude and frequency intersect at a specific angle, resulting in a larger amplitude at the point of intersection. This creates a bright spot or maximum in the interference pattern. On the other hand, destructive interference occurs when two wavefronts with the same amplitude and frequency intersect at a specific angle, resulting in a cancellation of the wave amplitudes at the point of intersection. This creates a dark spot or minimum in the interference pattern.

4. What are some real-life applications of interference in 2D?

Interference in 2D has many practical applications, including in the field of optics. One common application is in the creation of holograms, where interference patterns are used to produce a three-dimensional image. It is also used in anti-reflective coatings for lenses and in interferometers, which are used to make precise measurements of distance and small movements.

5. How is interference in 2D related to the concept of waves?

Interference in 2D is a direct result of the wave nature of light and other types of waves. It is a manifestation of the principle of superposition, which states that when two or more waves interact, the resulting wave is the sum of the individual waves. This phenomenon is crucial in understanding and explaining many properties of waves, such as diffraction and the Doppler effect.