Interference and Diffraction: Coating on a Lens to Minimize Reflection

In summary, the minimum thickness of coating that should be placed on a lens to minimize reflection of 661 nm light is half the minimum length necessary for destructive interference to occur. This is because the coating material, with an index of refraction of 1.40, causes a 180 degree phase-jump on reflection from the glass, which has an index of refraction of 1.65. To ensure destructive interference, there must be a whole number of half wavelengths in the thickness of the layer, taking into account the change in wavelength in a medium. The distance inside the layer is also affected by the refractive index.
OsDaJu

Homework Statement

What is the minimum thickness of coating which should be placed on a lens in order to minimize reflection of 661 nm light? The index of refraction of the coating material is 1.40 and the index of the glass is 1.65.

Hint: You must take into account the 180 degree phase-jump on reflection of light from a medium with a lower index of refraction to a medium of higher index of refraction. Also remember that the wavelength of light changes in a medium. The antireflective coating should be half of the minimum length you determine is necessary for destructive interference to occur.

Homework Equations

Dsin(theta)=m*lambda

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to approach this problem. I have read http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/antiref.html#c3 but I don't see it. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are trying to find the thickness where light reflected off the front surface and light traveling through the coating and reflecting from the rear surface are out of phase - they then interfere destructively and cancel, giving no reflection.

That's what I think I have been asked to find, however I cannot come up with an equation. Do you have any other hints? I would like to understand the problem better. Thank you for the quick reply!

It's really just a matter of drawing the diagram - you need a whole number of half wavelengths in the thickness of the layer.
Remember that you have two trips through the layer, the 'distance' inside the layer is effected by the refractive index, and you have to be careful about phase changes at the edge

Related to Interference and Diffraction: Coating on a Lens to Minimize Reflection

1. What is interference and diffraction?

Interference and diffraction are both phenomena that occur when waves interact with each other or with obstacles. Interference is the result of two or more waves overlapping and either amplifying or canceling each other out. Diffraction is the bending of waves around obstacles or through small openings.

2. How does coating a lens minimize reflection?

When light waves pass through a lens, some of the light is reflected off the surface of the lens, resulting in unwanted glare or loss of image clarity. By applying a thin coating of a material with a specific refractive index to the lens, the reflected waves can be shifted out of phase with the incident waves, reducing or eliminating the reflection.

3. What types of materials are used for coating lenses?

The most commonly used materials for lens coatings are thin films of metal oxides, such as magnesium fluoride, titanium dioxide, or silicon dioxide. These materials have a high refractive index and can effectively reduce reflection when applied in a thin layer on the lens surface.

4. Are there any drawbacks to coating a lens?

One potential drawback of coating a lens is that it can alter the color of the light passing through it. This is known as chromatic aberration and can result in color fringing or distortion in the image. However, this can be minimized by using high-quality coatings and careful design of the lens system.

5. Can lenses with coatings be used in all lighting conditions?

In general, lenses with coatings can be used in a wide range of lighting conditions. However, some coatings may be more effective in reducing reflection under certain wavelengths of light, so it is important to choose the appropriate coating for the intended use of the lens. Additionally, extremely bright or direct light sources may still cause some reflection even with a coated lens.