Interesting View Of Quantum Mechanics and The Measurement Problem

In summary, the paper discusses the foundations of Quantum Mechanics and defines the state of a system as a mathematical object that can determine the probability for any measurement. They introduce the concepts of pure and mixed states and discuss how they can be interpreted in terms of ensembles. However, there is an assumption being made about the equivalence of systems with the same information carrying capacity and the authors do not clearly define the terms "state" and "pure state" in their axioms. They also mention the need for continuous reversible transformations, which may not be satisfied in certain scenarios such as converting an electron into a positron.
I have been going through the following interesting paper on the foundations of Quantum Mechanics:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/0911.0695v1.pdf

'We define the state of a system as that mathematical object from which one can determine the probability for any conceivable measurement. Physical theories can have enough structure that it is not necessary to give an exhaustive list of all probabilities for all possible measurements, but only a list of probabilities for some minimal subset of them. We refer to this subset as fiducial set. Therefore, the state is specified by a list of d (where d depends on dimension N) probabilities for a set of fiducial measurements: p = (p1, . . . , pd). The state is pure if it is not a (convex) mixture of other states. The state is mixed if it is not pure. For example, the mixed state p generated by preparing state p1 with probability λ and p2 with probability 1 − λ, is p = λp1 + (1 − λ)p2. When we refer to an N-dimensional system, we assume that there are N states each of which identifies a different outcome of some measurement setting, in the sense that they return probability one for the outcome. We call this set a set of basis or orthogonal states. Basis states can be chosen to be pure. To see this assume that some mixed state identifies one outcome. We can decompose the state into a mixture of pure states, each of which has to return probability one, and thus we can use one of them to be a basis state. We will show later that each pure state corresponds to a unique measurement outcome.'

After thinking about it there seems to an assumption being made here - namely in associating a mixed state with an ensemble of other states they are assuming that if the list of probabilities they call a state is exactly the same as such an ensemble then it is to be interpreted that way. I can't see how it follows from the definitions they make, but rather is an assumption following from their first axiom 'All systems of the same information carrying capacity are equivalent'. However if that assumption is at the very foundations of QM then decoherence solves the measurement problem. For it means the improper mixed state decoherence transforms a superposition into must be interpreted as an actual ensemble - its assumed in it foundations.

What do others think?

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bhobba,

I haven't read into the paper as far as you have, but I hit a simpler puzzle about their axioms, i.e.,

Dakic+Brukner said:
Axiom 1. (Information capacity) An elementary system has the information carrying capacity of at most one bit. All systems of the same information carrying capacity are equivalent.

Axiom 2. (Locality) The state of a composite system is completely determined by local measurements on its subsystems and their correlations.

Axiom 3. (Reversibility) Between any two pure states there exists a reversible transformation.
They seem not to define "state", nor "pure state" before giving these axioms, which seems a tad sloppy.

Later they seem to assume that a state space is a vector space, but don't include this in their axioms.

Presumably a single electron at rest in the laboratory frame, in a spin eigenstate (wrt to some axis) qualifies as an "elementary system" in a pure state in their terminology? If so, then presumably a positron at rest in a similar eigenstate also qualifies?

But their later requirement that those reversible transformations be continuous is not satisfied for converting an electron into a positron (charge superselection), so something seems to be missing.

Or else such an electron or positron does not qualify as "elementary". But in that case, what does??

Probably, I need to read some of their references, such as

[23] A. Zeilinger, A Foundational Principle for Quantum Mechanics, Found. Phys. 29, 631 (1999).

strangerep said:
They seem not to define "state", nor "pure state" before giving these axioms, which seems a tad sloppy.

It is very sloppy indeed - I think you have to go through it a few times to see exactly what's going on. I am doing that right now - however in its defense I think its meant to be read in conjunction with Lucien Hardy's paper where he develops QM from 5 axioms which I have gone through before:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0101012v4.pdf

I don't see the issue with the positron at this stage - the basis states in QFT are all generated by the creation and annihilation operators so in principle it looks true there.

Thanks
Bill

Related to Interesting View Of Quantum Mechanics and The Measurement Problem

1. What is the measurement problem in quantum mechanics?

The measurement problem in quantum mechanics refers to the paradoxical issue of how to explain the collapse of the quantum wavefunction when a measurement is made. According to the standard interpretation of quantum mechanics, the act of measurement causes the wavefunction to collapse into a single definite state, but this process is not fully understood and raises questions about the nature of reality.

2. How does the Copenhagen interpretation address the measurement problem?

The Copenhagen interpretation is one of the most commonly accepted interpretations of quantum mechanics. It states that the wavefunction does not represent a physical reality, but rather a mathematical tool for making predictions about the outcomes of measurements. According to this interpretation, the act of measurement forces the wavefunction to collapse into a single state, and the observer plays a crucial role in determining the outcome.

3. What is the Many-Worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics?

The Many-Worlds interpretation is a controversial theory that offers an alternative explanation for the measurement problem. It suggests that the wavefunction never actually collapses, but rather that it splits into multiple parallel universes, each representing a different possible outcome of the measurement. This interpretation has been criticized for its lack of testable predictions and its departure from traditional scientific principles.

4. How does the decoherence theory help to explain the measurement problem?

The decoherence theory is an attempt to reconcile the measurement problem with the laws of physics. It proposes that the act of measurement is not a special event, but rather a natural consequence of the interaction between a quantum system and its environment. This theory suggests that the wavefunction does not collapse, but rather becomes entangled with its environment, creating the appearance of a single outcome.

5. Are there any proposed solutions to the measurement problem?

There are several proposed solutions to the measurement problem, including the many-worlds interpretation, the decoherence theory, and the transactional interpretation. However, none of these solutions have been universally accepted by the scientific community, and the measurement problem remains a subject of ongoing debate and research in the field of quantum mechanics.