Difference with mitosis and meiosis

• Thread starter photon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, the test in science class tomorrow will focus mainly on mitosis, with one question on the main difference between mitosis and meiosis. While mitosis is a form of asexual reproduction in which cells divide to produce identical clones, meiosis is a form of sexual reproduction that results in the production of gametes with half the number of chromosomes. Meiosis occurs in the reproductive cells and involves two stages of division, resulting in four haploid cells. Fertilization with meiosis leads to variation in traits, while mitosis only produces clones.
photon
So I got this test tomarrow in science class on cell division. We can't use notes on this test, so it's not going to go to deep into anything. I know there's going to be at least on question on the main difference between mitosis and meiosis.
Most of the test is about mitosis, but I stiil need one thing for meiosis.
I was thinking it might be that mitosis is asexual where meiosis is sexual. Not to sure about this cause the name cell division hints against any of it being non asexual.

So what is the main difference?

Sorry if this seems rather simple, I don't know too much about biology.

:smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
Meiosis and Mitosis both divide asexually (i'm not sure if its even possible to divide sexually), where meiosis normally occurs in sex cells to produce gamates (eggs and sperm) having only 1/2 the normal number of chromosomes, and mitosis occurs in most other cells, with the resulting cells being an exact clone of the original.

*waits patiently for someone to correct his mistakes*

Here an image comparing both division
http://www.accessexcellence.org/AB/GG/comparison.html [Broken]

Animation
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/courses/bio104/meiomito.htm

As Jixk said, both cell divisions are asexual but meiosis produces gametes/sex cell (either sperm or egg) whereas mitosis produce "normal" cell. Gametes is haploid (1n), normal cell are diploid (2n). During meiosis, there 2 cell divisions, 1 mitosis-like division and a chromosome reducing division. Homologous recombination occurs during meiosis.

Here is a nice table
http://www.radford.edu/~rsheehy/genetics/Meiosis/B245OMeiComp.html [Broken]

You should also read the process and make a table for comparing and contrasting, it will help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meiosis in single celled and multicelled eukaryotes is the basis of gamete formation and sexual reproduction. Mitosis is the basis of asexual reproduction single celled and many multicelled eukaryotes, replaces dead cells, repair of tissue and growth.

Mitosis produces 2 identical daughter cells with diploid # of chromosomes (same # of chromosomes as parent) occurs in body cells or somatic cells. One stage of division: prophase, metaphase, anaphase, and telophase. Mitosis only produces clones (asexual)

Meiosis reduces the chromosome # to half that of the parent and produces 4 haploid cells (gametes). Occurs in the ovaries or testes (only occurs in reproductive cells like: germ cells--->gametes) Goes through 2 stages of division meiosis I & II, with II being like mitosis except in the number of cells formed. Meiosis with fertilization produces variation in traits (sexual reproduction)

1. What is the main difference between mitosis and meiosis?

Mitosis is a type of cell division that results in two genetically identical daughter cells, while meiosis is a type of cell division that results in four genetically unique daughter cells.

2. How many stages are there in mitosis and meiosis?

Mitosis has four stages: prophase, metaphase, anaphase, and telophase. Meiosis has two rounds of division with four stages in each round: prophase I, metaphase I, anaphase I, telophase I, prophase II, metaphase II, anaphase II, and telophase II.

3. What is the purpose of mitosis and meiosis?

Mitosis is used for growth, repair, and asexual reproduction in organisms. Meiosis is used for sexual reproduction, producing gametes with genetic diversity.

4. How do the outcomes of mitosis and meiosis differ?

Mitosis produces two diploid daughter cells, while meiosis produces four haploid daughter cells. The daughter cells produced in mitosis are genetically identical to the parent cell, while the daughter cells produced in meiosis have genetic variation due to crossing over and independent assortment.

5. Can mitosis and meiosis occur in all cells?

Mitosis can occur in all somatic (body) cells, while meiosis only occurs in cells that produce gametes, such as sperm and egg cells.