Interesting Problem, Not sure where to begin.

In summary: The first minima on the far wall will occur at a point x from the middle of the wall where x = \lambda L/a where a is the slit width and L is the distance from the window to far wall. I get 10.5 feet.
Mbsams
I need some help getting started on this one:

Sound waves of frequency 582 Hz enter a window 1.3m wide.

The window is in the exact center of one wall of a theater 24m by 12m.

The window is 12m from the opposite wall, along which is a row of seats occupied by people.

The theater is acoustically prepared to prevent the reflection of sound waves, and the speed of sound is 330 m/s.

Two people, on each side of a line directly in front of the window, in the row along the wall hear no sound.

What minimum distance are they from each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mbsams said:
Sound waves of frequency 582 Hz enter a window 1.3m wide.
The window is in the exact center of one wall of a theater 24m by 12m.
The window is 12m from the opposite wall, along which is a row of seats occupied by people. The theater is acoustically prepared to prevent the reflection of sound waves, and the speed of sound is 330 m/s.

Two people, on each side of a line directly in front of the window, in the row along the wall hear no sound. What minimum distance are they from each other?
This is a 'single slit' diffraction problem. The first minima on the far wall will occur at a point x from the middle of the wall where [itex]x = \lambda L/a[/itex] where a is the slit width and L is the distance from the window to far wall.

I get 10.5 feet.

AM

Wouldn't that correspond to the first maxima and not minima?

Mbsams said:
Wouldn't that correspond to the first maxima and not minima?
I think the formula is for the first minima - this is single slit diffraction. You may be using double slit diffraction. I am sure you can check this.

AM

Related to Interesting Problem, Not sure where to begin.

What is an interesting problem?

An interesting problem is one that challenges our current understanding and knowledge in a particular field. It may have multiple solutions or require novel approaches to solve.

How do you identify an interesting problem?

An interesting problem can be identified by looking for areas where there is a lack of understanding or conflicting theories. It may also be something that has real-world applications or implications.

Why is it important to solve interesting problems?

Solving interesting problems can lead to breakthroughs and advancements in various fields. It can also improve our understanding of the world and help us address real-world issues.

What are some strategies for approaching an interesting problem?

Some strategies for approaching an interesting problem include breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts, consulting with experts in the field, and exploring different perspectives and approaches.

What are the potential barriers to solving an interesting problem?

Potential barriers to solving an interesting problem may include limited resources, conflicting theories, and the complexity of the problem itself. It may also require a significant amount of time and effort to find a solution.