Interested in recycling/environment -- What major?

• Programs
  • Thread starter finback
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the individual is interested in recycling and using it to address waste in oceans and land. They are considering majors in mechanical engineering, environmental engineering, chemistry, or another field that would be suitable for this goal. They acknowledge that materials handling is an important aspect of this work and that it can be done in both environmentally friendly and harmful ways.
finback
Hi! So I am very interested in the process/efficiency of recycling, and I am also interested in using recycling to get waste out of our oceans and land. I have a dream to recycle ocean waste and use it in a business of some sort. Would mechanical engineering be a suitable major for me? What about environmental engineering? Or plain chemistry? Or something else? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
finback said:
process/efficiency of recycling
Mechanical or chemical engineering.
finback said:
using recycling to get waste out of our oceans and land.
First thing you'll learn as an engineer is that materials handling is expensive; "cleaning" air, oceans, and land involves more materials handling than anyone has ever imagined.

This is too broad. Every field can be done both green and dirty.

1. What majors are available for someone interested in recycling and the environment?

There are several majors that would be relevant for someone interested in recycling and the environment, including environmental science, sustainability, environmental engineering, and resource management. Each major may have a slightly different focus, so it's important to research and choose the one that aligns with your interests and career goals.

2. Can I major in something like business or economics and still work in the recycling/environment field?

Yes, you can definitely have a career in the recycling and environment field with a business or economics major. Many organizations and companies in this field need individuals with business and economic knowledge to help with sustainable practices and financial planning.

3. What skills are important for a major in recycling and the environment?

Some important skills for a major in recycling and the environment include critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, communication, and knowledge of environmental regulations and policies. It's also beneficial to have a passion for sustainability and a strong interest in protecting the environment.

4. Are there any specific courses I should take in high school to prepare for a major in recycling and the environment?

While there are no specific courses required for this major, it's helpful to take classes in biology, chemistry, environmental science, and math. Additionally, any classes that focus on sustainability or environmental issues would also be beneficial.

5. What kind of job opportunities are available for someone with a major in recycling and the environment?

There are a variety of job opportunities for someone with a major in recycling and the environment, including roles in waste management, environmental consulting, renewable energy, policy and advocacy, and sustainability planning. You may also have the opportunity to work for government agencies or non-profit organizations focused on environmental conservation and protection.