Interest Theory- Annuity Withdrawals

In summary: The same logic applies to the 5000-payment problem.In summary, the present value of a series of withdrawals is equal to the present value of the same series of deposits, because of the math involved. Additionally, we can understand it by looking at smaller examples and seeing how the balance in the bank account after each withdrawal grows with interest and can be expressed in terms of a smaller problem that has already been solved.
uestions

Homework Statement

Consider an investment of $5,000 at 6% convertible semiannually. How much can be withdrawn
each half−year to use up the fund exactly at the end of 20 years?

Homework Equations

the present value annuity-immediate equation
equation of value relating 5000 to the above equation

The Attempt at a Solution

withdrawal is unknown
5000 = withdrawal * present value of annuity

I have a more urgent question: why can a withdrawal value be multiplied by the present value function when the withdrawal is being taken out? My thinking is the present value function can only be multiplied by deposits because deposits will be affected by interest. This question bothers me more than solving the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
uestions said:

Homework Statement

Consider an investment of $5,000 at 6% convertible semiannually. How much can be withdrawn
each half−year to use up the fund exactly at the end of 20 years?

Homework Equations

the present value annuity-immediate equation
equation of value relating 5000 to the above equation

The Attempt at a Solution

withdrawal is unknown
5000 = withdrawal * present value of annuity

I have a more urgent question: why can a withdrawal value be multiplied by the present value function when the withdrawal is being taken out? My thinking is the present value function can only be multiplied by deposits because deposits will be affected by interest. This question bothers me more than solving the problem.

Two answers:
(1) Withdrawals are the opposite of deposits, so the present value of a series of payments is numerically equal to the present value of the same series of withdrawals. In other words, it is true just because of the math.

However, I suspect you agree with the math but are still a bit mystified by why it works, so here is another answer.

(2) We can work out a detailed explanation, step-by-step (but for a much smaller example).

Look at the PV of two withdrawals of $1 at times t = 0 and 1 (with 1-period interest = r). The PV is ##PV_2## (the '2' standing for two withdrawals)
[tex] PV_2 = 1 + \frac{1}{1+r}[/tex]
We start with ##PV_2## dollars in the bank. After the initial $1 withdrawal at time t = 0 the bank account contains $##1/(1+r)##. Because of interest earned, this grows to $##(1+r) \times 1/(1+r) = 1## at time t = 1, when our second withdrawal of $1 empties the bank account.

Now let's try it again for three $1 withdrawals at times t = 0,1,2. The PV is ##PV_3##:
[tex] PV_3 = 1 + \frac{1}{1+r} + \frac{1}{(1+r)^2}[/tex]
We start with $##PV_3## in the bank. At t = 0 we withdraw $1 and so are left with a balance of
[tex] B_1 = \frac{1}{1+r} + \frac{1}{(1+r)^2}[/tex]
at time t = 1 (just after the withdrawal). This grows to ##B_2 = (1+r)B_1## at time t = 1; here,
[tex] B_2 = 1 + \frac{1}{1+r}[/tex]
and we still have two $1 withdrawals to go. But that case was already treated in the previous example; that is ##B_2 = PV_2##, and we already know from before that two more $1 withdrawals will empty the bank account. So, again, the PV represents the total effects of withdrawals plus interest earned throughout the payment period---in such a way that we end up with exactly $0 at the end.

For larger problems having more than three payments you can just do something similar. So, for 4 payments, the PV that remains after the first withdrawal and after earning interest is just ##PV_3##, which has already been analyzed. Similarly, 5 payments, after the first withdrawal and interest earned, becomes the 4-payment case, etc., etc.

Related to Interest Theory- Annuity Withdrawals

1. What is an annuity withdrawal?

An annuity withdrawal refers to the periodic payments that an individual receives from an annuity contract, typically after the accumulation phase. These payments are usually made in equal installments and can be for a fixed period of time or for the rest of the annuitant's life.

2. How are annuity withdrawals calculated?

The calculation of annuity withdrawals depends on several factors, including the initial investment amount, interest rates, and the annuitant's life expectancy. Generally, the withdrawals are calculated using a formula that considers the annuity's accumulated value, the annuitant's age, and the payout option chosen.

3. What is the difference between a fixed and variable annuity withdrawal?

A fixed annuity withdrawal provides a guaranteed payout amount for a specified period or for the rest of the annuitant's life, while a variable annuity withdrawal's amount is determined by the performance of the underlying investments. Fixed annuity withdrawals offer more stability, while variable annuity withdrawals have the potential for higher returns.

4. Can I change the frequency of my annuity withdrawals?

Yes, you can usually change the frequency of your annuity withdrawals, but it may come with certain restrictions and fees. For example, if you want to switch from monthly to annual withdrawals, you may have to pay a fee and potentially receive a lower payout amount.

5. Are annuity withdrawals taxable?

The tax treatment of annuity withdrawals depends on the type of annuity and how the payments are received. Generally, withdrawals from a non-qualified annuity (funded with after-tax dollars) are partially taxable, while withdrawals from a qualified annuity (funded with pre-tax dollars) are fully taxable. It's important to consult a tax professional for specific details regarding your annuity withdrawals and tax implications.