Interest based investment strategy

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of whether an investment with an average return of x% and an investment with a fixed return of x% are equivalent. The speaker is unsure and asks for others to investigate and provide explanations. They also mention the need to consider simple and compound interest separately. Another person adds that the average value must give the same result as a constant value for it to be considered the "average". The impact of making deposits and volatility on the equation is also mentioned.
wonder_boy
Okay, I'm wondering if an investment that averages x% over the term of an investent and an investment with a fixed return of x% over the term of an investment are equivalent...I'm not really sure at all, and itas advised i can both explain and somehow graph this.

Can anyone investigate my above proposition to see if it is warrented? If not, could you give any and all reasons why?

I know that i have to consider simple fo compound sperately...but...yeah. I would love a coupel fo different people's responses, haha...i would love any response really. It would be a huge help.

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That's pretty much the definition of "average"- the single value that gives exactly the same result as a variable. Yes, the average value of x% must give exactly the same result as a constant value of x% in order to be called the "average".

That depends on a lot of things. If you never make deposits, and the average is a sensible one, then it's all the same, as HallsofIvy said. If you're adding money, volatility is generally good -- assuming you're dollar-cost averaging.

Related to Interest based investment strategy

1. What is an interest based investment strategy?

An interest based investment strategy is a method of investing that focuses on the interest rates of various financial instruments. This means that the investor will choose investments based on the interest rates they offer, with the goal of maximizing their returns.

2. How does an interest based investment strategy differ from other investment strategies?

Unlike other strategies, an interest based investment strategy primarily considers the interest rates of investments rather than other factors such as company performance or market trends. This can make it a more conservative approach to investing.

3. What types of investments are typically included in an interest based investment strategy?

Some common investments in this strategy include high-yield savings accounts, certificates of deposit (CDs), bonds, and money market accounts. These investments are known for offering relatively predictable and stable interest rates.

4. What are the potential risks of an interest based investment strategy?

One potential risk is that interest rates may change, causing the value of the investments to decrease. Additionally, this strategy may not offer as high of returns as other strategies that take into account other factors such as market trends and company performance.

5. Is an interest based investment strategy suitable for everyone?

No, an interest based investment strategy may not be suitable for everyone. It is generally considered a more conservative approach to investing and may not offer high enough returns for those with a higher risk tolerance. It is important for individuals to carefully consider their own financial goals and risk tolerance before choosing an investment strategy.