Interaction of Two Spin 1/2 Particles

In summary, To prove that the operators ##F##, ##j^2##, and ##{j}_{z}## can be measured simultaneously, you can use the fact that they commute with each other. This means that a measurement of one observable will not affect the measurement results of the other observables. By rewriting the operator ##F## in terms of the individual spin operators, you can see that it is possible to measure all three observables in a single series of measurements.
-Newton-
Hi buddies.

I recently finished my quantum mechanics course, however, I would like to know the solution of this exercise because i couldn´t solve it on my last exam, and i would like to take this doubt off.

An operator ##F## describing the interaction of two spin ##\frac{1}{2}## particles has the form:
##F=c+d {\sigma}_{1}\cdot{\sigma}_{2}##
where ##c## and ##d## are constants, ##{\sigma}_{1}## and ##{\sigma}_{2}##are Pauli matrices of the spin.
Prove that ##F## , ##j^2## and ##{j}_{z}## can be meassure simultaneusly.
Where ##j## is the total angular momentum; also you must consider that
##{\sigma}_{1}\neq{\sigma}_{2}##.

I had the idea to check that operators ##F## with ##j^2## and ##F## with ##{j}_{z}## Commute to conclude that the observable can be measured simultaneously. But I'm not sure if that's okay, and i don't know how to do it because ##{\sigma}_{1}\neq{\sigma}_{2}##.

I'll appreciate your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
-Newton- said:
I had the idea to check that operators ##F## with ##j^2## and ##F## with ##{j}_{z}## Commute to conclude that the observable can be measured simultaneously.
That's the right direction, because if those observables are commute to each other, a measurement of one observable will not alter the measurement result from the previously measured observable. Therefore the three observables can be measured in a single series of measurement without the need to repeat the procedure for measurement of each obseravble.
The individual spin operator is proportional to the corresponding Pauli matrix, therefore you can write for ##F##, ##F = c +d'\mathbf{j}_1 \cdot \mathbf{j}_2## where ##d'## is another constant. Then consider ## j^2 = (\mathbf{j}_1 + \mathbf{j}_2)^2##, from this pull the resulting ##\mathbf{j}_1 \cdot \mathbf{j}_2## to one side alone and plug into ##F##.

Last edited:

Related to Interaction of Two Spin 1/2 Particles

1. What is the significance of spin in particle interactions?

Spin is a fundamental property of particles that determines their intrinsic angular momentum. In interactions between two spin 1/2 particles, their spin states can either be parallel or antiparallel, leading to different outcomes.

2. How is the interaction between two spin 1/2 particles described mathematically?

The interaction between two spin 1/2 particles is described using the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics. The particles' spin states are represented by spin operators, and their interactions are described by Hamiltonian operators.

3. What is the difference between an entangled state and a separable state in the interaction of two spin 1/2 particles?

In an entangled state, the spin states of the two particles are correlated and cannot be described independently. In contrast, in a separable state, the spin states can be described independently, and the particles do not exhibit any correlations.

4. How does the measurement of one particle's spin affect the other particle's spin in the interaction of two spin 1/2 particles?

According to the principle of quantum entanglement, the measurement of one particle's spin instantaneously affects the other particle's spin, regardless of the distance between them. This phenomenon is known as quantum non-locality.

5. Can the interaction of two spin 1/2 particles be used in practical applications?

Yes, the interaction of two spin 1/2 particles has been used in various technological applications, such as quantum computing and quantum communication. It also has implications in the study of materials, such as in spintronics, which utilizes the spin of particles for information processing.