Interaction - Fundamental question

In summary, the basic idea about particle interaction in QM is described by the interaction terms of the Hamiltonian. In the quantum picture, both particles are accelerating and are expected to emit particles, however this cannot be viewed in QM. QFT, which is a part of QM, describes interaction as a perturbation between the fields of the particles and what is emitted. The concept of virtual particles is also important in understanding QFT and their existence leads to attraction or repulsion in electromagnetics. To fully understand this concept, one would need to have a strong understanding of QM and relativity.
Omega0
Hi,

What is the basic idea about particle interaction in QM?

Say you have first one single charged particle in an "empty universe". Here I think the first issue is given: That's impossible, you'll need masses (or better: energy) from a GRT view. Okay, say we watch this single charged particle - but we don't know that it is charged.
In the classical picture I have a field, something strange, you can draw radiating lines or whatever. Unfortunetely this makes no sense for a single particle because we need a measurement. Now let us stll be the "god observer" without interaction to the scene. I place now a particle of the oppenent charge in my universe. I have now attraction between both particles (retarded, for sure). Now it makes more sense to think in "field lines" between both particle but nevertheless: This world outside is hidden until I measure the change, so I wiould measure the acceleration of the particles.
I would need to disturb the process via measurement.
Between both particles exists something called "electromagnetic attracion". There is potential energy between both. They will accelerate. They will "radiate". It is impossible to find a reference frame where they don't.

So let's get to quantum picture of the scene. Both particles are accelerating, so I expect them to emit particles. They emit them in opposite directions to accelerate. Are those photons? What is about the "field" around those charged particles - do you think it exists because we have two particles or do we only measure it as a "third particle"? How would you describe this picture?

Thanks,
Jens

Physics news on Phys.org
Omega0 said:
What is the basic idea about particle interaction in QM?

The interaction terms of the Hamiltonian.

Omega0 said:
So let's get to quantum picture of the scene. Both particles are accelerating, so I expect them to emit particles.

QM can't be viewed that way.

Thanks
Bill

Why shouldn't it? There is interaction. So i need an interacting particle?
PS: This is related to QFT which I would say is a part of QM

Last edited:
Omega0 said:
Why shouldn't it? There is interaction. So i need an interacting particle?
PS: This is related to QFT which I would say is a part of QM

In QM what an object is doing when not observed is anyone's guess so can't be described in terms of acceleration (and in fact isn't), attraction in QFT is not like that (its described as a perturbation between the field of the particle and the field of what's emitted), and emissions described by QFT is not formulated in such terms eg you need a Fock Space:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fock_space

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Okay, thanks.
But how does the "Fock space" help me in finding out what happens to those both pariticles?
Mathematics is nice, but what about the physics, what would you say is happening?
I have creator and destructor operators which mean I will have particles, right?
Everything else would be pure unlogic.
Interchange between those particles needs particles - that's QFT.
Do you agree, Bill?

Omega0 said:
but what about the physics, what would you say is happening?

As our own Nugatory said - anything you read about such things outside a QFT textbook is likely wrong. Unfortunately the math is the physics in this instance.

Omega0 said:
I have creator and destructor operators which mean I will have particles, right?

That's the thing about QFT - particles and fields are the same thing - particles are like excitations of the field.

Omega0 said:
Interchange between those particles needs particles - that's QFT. Do you agree, Bill?

This interchange stuff is so called virtual particles. They don't really exist - as has been discussed in many threads on this forum.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
This interchange stuff is so called virtual particles. They don't really exist - as has been discussed in many threads on this forum.
Bill
Would you please give me link to a thread were I learn how virtual particles in electromagnetics lead to attraction or repulsion?
I would say these are photons. Thanks.

Omega0 said:
Would you please give me link to a thread were I learn how virtual particles in electromagnetics lead to attraction or repulsion?

That's an entire textbook:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/019969933X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Be warned - its advanced. You need QM and relativity first:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465036678/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1118460820/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071455450/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The above will provide sufficient background to undertake it. It will however take time and your thinking cap needs to be on.

Thanks
Bill

Related to Interaction - Fundamental question

1. What is the definition of interaction?

Interaction refers to the process of two or more components or systems acting upon each other and producing a change or effect.

2. Why is understanding interaction important in science?

Interaction is a fundamental aspect of how the natural world works and is essential in understanding the relationships between different components and systems. It allows us to predict and explain phenomena and make informed decisions.

3. What are the different types of interactions in science?

There are four main types of interactions: gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. These interactions are responsible for all physical phenomena in the universe.

4. How do scientists study interaction?

Scientists use various methods to study interaction, including observation, experimentation, and mathematical modeling. They also use tools such as microscopes, telescopes, and computer simulations to observe and understand the interactions between different components and systems.

5. Can interactions between systems be predicted?

Yes, interactions between systems can be predicted using scientific principles and laws. By understanding the properties of the systems involved and the type of interaction, scientists can make predictions about the outcome of these interactions.