Interaction Energy For Two Point Charges

In summary, the interaction energy for two point charges, q1 and q2, a distance a apart can be calculated by using the expression $$ \epsilon_0 \int \vec{E_1} \cdot \vec{E_2} d\tau $$ and considering spherical coordinates, with the r integral done first. By utilizing the dot product definition and the formula for electric field, the integral can be simplified to $$ \frac{1}{(4\pi\epsilon_0)^2} \frac{q_1}{r_1^3} \frac{q_2}{r_2^3} \vec{r_1} \cdot \vec{r_2} $$ or
thecourtholio

Homework Statement

Find the interaction energy ( ##\epsilon_0 \int \vec{E_1}\cdot\vec{E_2}d\tau##) for two point charges, ##q_1## and ##q_2##, a distance ##a## apart. [Hint: put ##q_1## at the origin and ##q_2## on the z axis; use spherical coordinates, and do the ##r## integral first.]

Homework Equations

Interaction Energy is given by: $$ \epsilon_0 \int \vec{E_1}\cdot\vec{E_2}d\tau$$
where ##d\tau## is the volume element, which in spherical coordinates is ##rsin\theta dr d\theta d\phi##

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that $$\vec{E_1} = \frac{q_1}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r_1^2}\hat{r_1}$$ and $$\vec{E_2} = \frac{q_2}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r_2^2}\hat{r_2}$$
So the dot product then is $$\vec{E_1}\cdot\vec{E_2} = \frac{1}{(4\pi\epsilon_0)^2} \frac{q_1}{r_1^2}\frac{q_2}{r_2^2}\hat{r_1}\cdot\hat{r_2}$$
But since ##\hat{r}=\frac{\vec{r}}{|r|}##, this can be written as $$\vec{E_1}\cdot\vec{E_2} = \frac{1}{(4\pi\epsilon_0)^2} \frac{q_1}{r_1^3}\frac{q_2}{r_2^3}\vec{r_1}\cdot\vec{r_2}$$
But I also know that the dot product can be expressed as ##\vec{E_1}\cdot\vec{E_2}=|E_1||E_2|cos\alpha## where ##\alpha## is the angle between them. So then ##\vec{E_1}\cdot\vec{E_2}## can also be written as $$\vec{E_1}\cdot\vec{E_2} = \frac{1}{(4\pi\epsilon_0)^2} \frac{q_1}{r_1^2}\frac{q_2}{r_2^2}cos\alpha$$
So now, I'm not sure which version would be better to use because I don't know how to relate ##\alpha## to ##\theta## in the last version and for the first two versions, I'm not really sure how to define the position vectors because if ##q_1## is at the origin and ##q_2## is on the z axis then ##\vec{r_1}\cdot\vec{r_2}=0## and then the whole thing would just be 0 right? And when I go to integrate over ##r##, which ##r## is used in the volume element since there is ##r_1## and ##r_2##? I feel like there is some geometry that I am missing. And is the integration just the usual ##0\leq r \leq \infty##, ##0\leq\theta\leq \pi##, ##0\leq\phi\leq 2\pi##? Any help would be awesome!

Physics news on Phys.org
courtneywatson13 said:
I'm not really sure how to define the position vectors because if ##q_1## is at the origin and ##q_2## is on the z axis then ##\vec{r_1}\cdot\vec{r_2}=0##
Why would ##\vec{r_1}\cdot\vec{r_2}=0##? (The two vectors are not the position vectors of the two particles.)

TSny said:
Why would ##\vec{r_1}\cdot\vec{r_2}=0##? (The two vectors are not the position vectors of the two particles.)
Well my thinking was that if ##q_1## is at the origin then ##\vec{r_1}=(0,0,0)## and if ##q_2## is on the z axis then ##\vec{r_2}=(0,0,a)##. So then ##\vec{r_1}\cdot\vec{r_2}=r_{x1}r_{x2}+r_{y1}r_{y2}+r_{z1}r_{z2}=(0)(0)+(0)(0)+(0)(a)=0## right?

Likes vanhees71
courtneywatson13 said:
Well my thinking was that if ##q_1## is at the origin then ##\vec{r_1}=(0,0,0)##
##\vec{r}_1## is not the position vector that locates ##q_1##.

In the formula ## \vec{E} = \frac{kq }{r^3} \vec{r} ##, how would you describe the meaning of the vector ##\vec{r}##?

TSny said:
No, ##\vec{r}_1## is not the position vector that locates ##q_1##.

In the formula ##\vec{E} = \frac{kq}{r^3} \vec{r}##, how would you describe the meaning of the vector ##\vec{r}##?

Omg I think I got it. So ##\vec{r}## would be the vector describing the distance from the point charge to the reference point right? So then at some reference point P, the vector from ##q_1## would be ##\vec{r}=x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+z\hat{z}## and from ##q_2## it would be ##\vec{r}=x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+(z-a)\hat{z}##. Is that right? so then $$E_1=kq_1\frac{(x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+z\hat{z})}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}$$ and $$E_2=kq_2\frac{(x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+(z-a)\hat{z})}{(x^2+y^2+(z-a)^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}$$. Is that correct?

Yes.

thecourtholio said:
Omg I think I got it. So ##\vec{r}## would be the vector describing the distance from the point charge to the reference point right? So then at some reference point P, the vector from ##q_1## would be ##\vec{r}=x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+z\hat{z}## and from ##q_2## it would be ##\vec{r}=x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+(z-a)\hat{z}##. Is that right? so then $$E_1=kq_1\frac{(x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+z\hat{z})}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}$$ and $$E_2=kq_2\frac{(x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+(z-a)\hat{z})}{(x^2+y^2+(z-a)^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}$$. Is that correct?
its correct but the integral you will do looks very very tedious and an elegant solution would be more welcome

pathintegral said:
its correct but the integral you will do looks very very tedious and an elegant solution would be more welcome
Note that the thread is 6+ years old!

Interaction energy is merely potential energy of a system its nothing special.

U = kq1q2/r^2 will suffice.

That integral E^2 formula is only useful in cases of symmetry

I know this thread is old but whatevs.

Likes vanhees71
PhDeezNutz said:
Interaction energy is merely potential energy of a system its nothing special.

U = kq1q2/r^2 will suffice.
Supposedly the idea of the homework problem is to arrive at precisely this result starting from the interaction energy expression.

Likes vanhees71 and PhDeezNutz
Orodruin said:
Supposedly the idea of the homework problem is to arrive at precisely this result starting from the interaction energy expression.

Yeah just re-read the hint and that is indeed what the student is supposed to do.

Still a strange exercise considering that in Griffiths the E^2 result is derived from the more fundamental idea of summing over individual interactions using kqq/r^2. IIRC.

Likes vanhees71
We have
$$\begin{align*}
\mathbf E_1 \cdot \mathbf E_2 &= \mathbf E_1 \cdot (-\nabla \cdot V_2).
\end{align*}$$
Also
$$\begin{align*}
\nabla \cdot (V_2 \mathbf E_1) &= \nabla V_2 \cdot \mathbf E_1 +
V_2 (\nabla \cdot \mathbf E_1) ,
\end{align*}$$
or
$$\begin{align*}
-\nabla V_2 \cdot \mathbf E_1 &= -\nabla \cdot (V_2 \mathbf E_1) +
V_2 (\nabla \cdot \mathbf E_1) .
\end{align*}$$
Similarly,
$$\begin{align*}
-\nabla V_1 \cdot \mathbf E_2 &= -\nabla \cdot (V_1 \mathbf E_2) +
V_1 (\nabla \cdot \mathbf E_2) .
\end{align*}
$$
Then,
$$
\begin{align*}
\epsilon_0\int\limits_{\text{all space}} \mathbf E_1 \cdot \mathbf E_2 \,d\tau
&= \frac{\epsilon_0}{2} \int \left[
\frac{\rho_1}{\epsilon_0}V_2 + \frac{\rho_2}{\epsilon_0}V_1
\right] \,d\tau\\
&= \frac{1}{2} \int
\left[
q_1 \delta (\mathbf r - \mathbf r_1) V_2(\mathbf r) +
q_2 \delta (\mathbf r - \mathbf r_2) V_1(\mathbf r)
\right] \,d\tau\\
&= \frac{1}{2}\left[
q_1 V_2(\mathbf r_1) + q_2 V_1(\mathbf r_2)
\right]\\
&=\frac{1}{2}\left[
q_1 \cdot \frac{k q_2}{a} + q_2 \cdot \frac{k q_1}{a}
\right]\\
&= \frac{k q_1 q_2}{a}
\end{align*}
$$
(where the other two terms were left out of the integral over space, as, after converting to surface integrals via the divergence theorem, we have that they both go to zero).

Likes PhDeezNutz

Related to Interaction Energy For Two Point Charges

1. What is interaction energy for two point charges?

Interaction energy for two point charges is the potential energy that exists between two charged particles due to their electrostatic interactions. It is dependent on the magnitude of the charges, the distance between them, and the medium in which they are located.

2. How is interaction energy calculated?

The interaction energy between two point charges can be calculated using the Coulomb's law equation, which is given by E = k(q1q2)/r, where E is the interaction energy, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the significance of interaction energy for two point charges?

Interaction energy is important in understanding the forces that act between charged particles. It helps explain the behavior and stability of atoms, molecules, and other charged systems. It also plays a crucial role in many physical and chemical processes.

4. How does the distance between two point charges affect their interaction energy?

The interaction energy between two point charges is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the interaction energy decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is known as the inverse square law.

5. What happens to the interaction energy when the charges of two point charges are of the same sign?

When the charges of two point charges are of the same sign, the interaction energy is repulsive, meaning that the two particles will push away from each other. The magnitude of the interaction energy will increase as the charges increase, and decrease as the distance between them increases.