Interaction between charges in motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the relativistic nature of magnetism and the example of a linear procession of charges to explain it. The book suggests that this is equivalent to a not charged current carrying wire, simplifying the discussion. However, the question arises as to why the electric field is still null in this model, even though only electrons are assumed to move. The answer is that the wire is not charged, and even in the alternative model where only electrons move, the electric field remains null. The speaker's perspective is incorrect, as a charged current carrying wire does not attract a charge at rest. The concept of Lorentz velocity addition rules and length contraction is brought up, and it is explained that a charged current carrying wire will attract
serioca
In order to explain the relativistic nature of magnetism, a book shows an example of linear procession of charges: positive charges in one direction and negative charges in the opposite one. It says that this is equivalent in the reality to a not charged current carrying wire. In a metallic wire only electrons should have moved but it prefer a this simmetric model in order to simplify the discussion. Then It says that a charge at rest at a specific distance from the wire is not affected by any force because electric field in null.
Why, if we assume the not simmetric model (in which only electrons move), the electric field is still null?
I know that we have assumed that the wire is not charged, but in respect to the charge at rest only electrons move in this alternative model, then only negative electric density should go up, due to relativistic contraction
I know (of course) that my perspective is wrong, because a charged current carrying wire does not attract a charge at rest, but I don't know where is my mistake

Physics news on Phys.org
If I move at a speed v relative to that wire, electrons and protons going opposite ways, And I use Lorentz velocity addition rules. And I get my relative speeds of the 2 line charges and then I use length contraction, One of the line charges will now be more dense and I will get a net charge and an E field. And a charged current carrying wire will attract a charge at rest, it has an E field F=qE. But if the wire just had a B field then it would not attract the charge, it would need to be moving.

Related to Interaction between charges in motion

1. What is the interaction between charges in motion?

The interaction between charges in motion is known as electromagnetic interaction, which is one of the four fundamental forces in nature. It describes the behavior of electrically charged particles when they are in motion, and how they interact with each other and their surrounding environment.

2. How does the interaction between charges in motion affect magnetic fields?

When charged particles are in motion, they create a magnetic field around them. The strength of this magnetic field is directly proportional to the speed and direction of the charged particles. This magnetic field can then interact with other charged particles, causing them to move and creating a chain reaction of interactions.

3. What is the role of the electric field in the interaction between charges in motion?

The electric field is responsible for the attraction or repulsion between charged particles. When charged particles are in motion, they create disturbances in the electric field, resulting in a force that can either attract or repel other charged particles. This is how charged particles in motion interact with each other.

4. How does the distance between charges affect their interaction in motion?

The strength of the interaction between charged particles in motion is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that the closer the charged particles are, the stronger their interaction will be. As the distance increases, the interaction between charges decreases.

5. Can the interaction between charges in motion be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the interaction between charges in motion is observable in many everyday phenomena. For example, lightning is a result of an interaction between positive and negative charges in motion. Electric motors and generators also rely on this interaction to function. Additionally, the movement of charged particles in our atmosphere creates the beautiful phenomenon known as the Northern Lights.