Inter-Bubble Connections in Inflationary Multiverse Models?

In summary, according to the expert, there is no possibility of an Einstein-Rosen bridge between bubble universes.
nomadreid
Gold Member
I know this is getting into the highly speculative, but given the mathematics that has been done on versions of these concepts that are not known to be inconsistent:
In the inflation concept which leads to a multiverse of the "bubble universes" type, in which the laws governing the space-time of one universe might be (or not) different from those of another (e.g., perhaps different zero-point energies), would anything analogous to an Einstein-Rosen Bridge be possible, that is, some sort of connection in which something could pass from one "bubble" to another?

Space news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
would anything analogous to an Einstein-Rosen Bridge be possible

No. The "bubble universe" concept does not use anything like the Schwarzschild spacetime geometry or its "wormhole" analogues, which are the ones in which the Einstein-Rosen bridge appears.

Likes nomadreid
Thanks for your answer, PeterDonis. Actually, I should have put "reminiscent of" rather than "analogous to", emphasizing that I did not necessarily mean the same mechanisms as the Einstein-Rosen Bridge, but rather whether it was possible for any information to go from one "bubble" to another. I would guess from your answer that, as the only connections which are presently speculated are of the Einstein-Rosen bridge variety, that the answer to this question would be included in your "no". Right?

nomadreid said:
whether it was possible for any information to go from one "bubble" to another.

As far as I know this is not possible in any of the models which have been proposed.

nomadreid said:
the only connections which are presently speculated are of the Einstein-Rosen bridge variety

I'm not aware of any speculations that propose Einstein-Rosen bridges between bubble universes. Have you seen any? Or are you just referring to the "standard" Einstein-Rosen bridge models, which, as I said, apply to a different class of spacetimes entirely and have nothing to do with the "bubble universe" models?

Likes nomadreid
No, I was referring to any bridge of some nature (not Einstein-Rosen, which as you point out is not applicable in this situation) between the bubble universes . So your
PeterDonis said:
As far as I know this is not possible in any of the models which have been proposed.
quite well answers it, thanks!:smile:

1. What is a bubble universe connection?

A bubble universe connection refers to the idea that our universe may be just one of many universes that exist in a larger multiverse. These universes are thought to be connected by "bubbles" or regions of space-time that have different physical laws and properties.

2. How do bubble universes connect?

The exact mechanism of how bubble universes connect is still unknown and is a topic of ongoing research. Some theories suggest that these connections may occur through wormholes or other types of cosmic tunnels.

3. How do we know if bubble universe connections exist?

At this time, there is no concrete evidence for the existence of bubble universe connections. However, some theories in physics, such as string theory and inflationary cosmology, suggest the possibility of a multiverse and bubble universe connections.

4. Could bubble universe connections have an impact on our universe?

It is possible that interactions with other universes through bubble universe connections could have an impact on our universe. This could manifest in various ways, such as through gravitational effects or the exchange of particles.

5. Can we travel to other universes through bubble universe connections?

At this time, we do not have the technology or understanding to travel to other universes through bubble universe connections. The vast distances and unknown nature of these connections make it a challenging feat to accomplish.