Intensity of the background neutron radiation

In summary, most of the background neutron radiation comes from cosmic rays, which vary in intensity depending on latitude. Shielding can be done with high content hydrogen materials.
Garlic
Gold Member
Hello everyone,
What is the average intensity of the background neutron radiation?

Physics news on Phys.org
That will depend on your experiment.

mfb said:
That will depend on your experiment.
Sorry, but I don't understand what do you mean by that. Why should the intensity change depending on my experiment?

Neutron background
Most of the natural neutron background is a product of cosmic rays interacting with the atmosphere. The neutron energy peaks at around 1 MeV and rapidly drops above. At sea level, the production of neutrons is about 20 neutrons per second per kilogram of material interacting with the cosmic rays (or, about 100-300 neutrons per square meter per second). The flux is dependent on geomagnetic latitude, with a maximum at about 45 degrees. At solar minimums, due to lower solar magnetic field shielding, the flux is about twice as high vs the solar maximum. It also dramatically increases during solar flares. In the vicinity of larger heavier objects, e.g. buildings or ships, the neutron flux measures higher; this is known as "cosmic ray induced neutron signature", or "ship effect" as it was first detected with ships at sea.[11]

Above from Wikipedia

Likes Garlic
Garlic said:
Sorry, but I don't understand what do you mean by that. Why should the intensity change depending on my experiment?
Every piece of material in your experiment will (a) interact with high-energetic particles passing through (e.g. cosmic radiation) and release neutrons, and (b) absorb some neutrons. In addition, your experiment will have some shielding from the atmosphere above (depends on its height above sea level) and maybe from rock above (for unterground experiment).
And that is just the influence on the raw neutron spectrum, the influence on your measurement devices is more complicated.

How can the background of anything not depend on your experiment?

Likes Garlic
I take it that your question is in regards to your earlier post regarding the measurement of low activity fast neutron sources. Since the energy of the background neutron flux peaks at 1 MeV. and may decrease rapidly above that I would still investigate the possibility of the need of a shield consisting of a high content hydrogen material as polyethylene or paraffin to thermalize those neutrons and reduce their possible interference with your subject radiation. Your source you say is 0.1 Bq so even small background radiation will be of concern in order to achieve data with good accuracy.

Likes Garlic
Thank you for your replies, I understand it better. :smile:

Related to Intensity of the background neutron radiation

1. What is the intensity of the background neutron radiation?

The intensity of background neutron radiation refers to the amount of neutron radiation present in a given area. It is measured in units of sieverts (Sv) per hour.

2. What factors affect the intensity of background neutron radiation?

The intensity of background neutron radiation can be affected by a variety of factors, including geographic location, altitude, natural sources such as cosmic rays and radioactive materials in the Earth's crust, and human activities such as nuclear power plants or medical procedures.

3. How is the intensity of background neutron radiation measured?

The intensity of background neutron radiation is typically measured using a neutron dosimeter, which can detect and measure the amount of radiation present in a given area. This data is then converted into units of sieverts (Sv) per hour.

4. What are the potential health risks associated with high levels of background neutron radiation?

Exposure to high levels of background neutron radiation can increase the risk of developing certain types of cancer, such as leukemia. It can also cause genetic mutations and damage to the body's tissues and organs.

5. How can we protect ourselves from the intensity of background neutron radiation?

There are several ways to protect ourselves from background neutron radiation, including limiting exposure time, increasing distance from radiation sources, and using shielding materials such as lead or concrete. It is also important to follow safety protocols and regulations in areas with high levels of radiation.