Intensity of single slit and double slit problem

In summary: Therefore, when one slit is closed, the illuminated region is still the same size and so the intensity remains the same. In summary, when one of the slits in a double slit experiment is covered, the bright fringe has an intensity of 0.25I and the remaining slit has an area that is half of the initial area. However, since power is the product of intensity and area, the remaining slit will still have an intensity of 2I to maintain constant power. The amplitude and intensity in a double slit experiment are related by a factor of 4, and when one slit is closed, there is still interference between the two remaining slits. The intensity does not increase when one slit is closed because the illuminated region remains the same
desmond iking
For a double slit experiemnt, the bright fringe has intensity of I, when one of the slit is covered, the intensity is 0.25I.
In my opinion, the slit now become single slit, so it has area of half of the initial area, but we know that power is the product of intensity x area, by keeping the power constant. So it should has intensity of 2I if one of the slit is covered?

Physics news on Phys.org
The bright fringe has constructive interference when both slits are open, meaning that the amplitude is doubled. The intensity is the square of the amplitude and so
$$
I = A^2 = (2A_0)^2 = 4A_0^2 = 4I_0,
$$
where ##A## refers to the total amplitude and ##A_0## to that from one slit and the same for the intensities.

Where there is destructive interference, between the bright fringes, the amplitudes will cancel out and give you zero intensity.

Now one of the slit is closed , shouldn't the intensity of light is higher? Since the light ray now concentrate on smaller region.

The light beam can not concentrate itself and choose to go through the open slit. The part of the light beam falling on the open slit goes through, the other part reaching the screen is reflected, absorbed, but cannot go through.

ehild

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
The light beam can not concentrate itself and choose to go through the open slit. The part of the light beam falling on the open slit goes through, the other part reaching the screen is reflected, absorbed, but cannot go through.

ehild

no . i mean the light emerge form the slit concentrate ( a.k.a interfere) at smaller region , so the light energy now is distributed to smaller area... so the intensity is higher when one of the slit is closed.

No, equal energy of light goes through each slit. Two slits means twice energy passing through.
Think. When is more light in the room? I all the shutters are open or when only one is open?

ehild

desmond iking said:
no . i mean the light emerge form the slit concentrate ( a.k.a interfere) at smaller region , so the light energy now is distributed to smaller area... so the intensity is higher when one of the slit is closed.

The size of the illuminated region is essentially dependent on the slit size, the light wavelength, and the distance to the screen. Light from both slits will hit similar regions - otherwise there would be no interference.

Related to Intensity of single slit and double slit problem

1. What is the difference between single slit and double slit interference?

The main difference between single slit and double slit interference is the number of slits present. In single slit interference, there is only one narrow slit through which light passes, creating a diffraction pattern. In double slit interference, there are two narrow slits close to each other, creating a pattern of alternating bright and dark fringes.

2. How does the intensity of the interference pattern change with slit width?

The intensity of the interference pattern is directly proportional to the width of the slit. This means that as the slit width increases, the intensity of the pattern also increases. This is because a wider slit allows more light to pass through, resulting in a brighter interference pattern.

3. What factors affect the intensity of the interference pattern?

The intensity of the interference pattern is affected by several factors, including the wavelength of the light, the distance between the slits, and the distance between the slits and the screen. Additionally, the intensity can also be affected by the angle of the incident light and the properties of the medium through which the light is passing.

4. How is the intensity of the interference pattern measured?

The intensity of the interference pattern is typically measured using a light detector, such as a photodiode or photomultiplier tube. The output of the detector is then recorded and analyzed to determine the intensity at various points on the screen. This data can then be used to plot the intensity distribution of the interference pattern.

5. Can the intensity of the interference pattern be manipulated?

Yes, the intensity of the interference pattern can be manipulated by changing the parameters of the experiment, such as the distance between the slits or the wavelength of the light. Additionally, using polarizers or filters can also affect the intensity of the pattern. This manipulation of intensity is often used in research and applications, such as in optical systems and sensors.