Intensity of Light- What factors contribute?

In summary: I've been trying to find an equation or a formula that would relate the two, but I haven't been able to find anything.
AznBoi
Intensity of Light-- What factors contribute?

What factors affect the intensity of light? What is intensity? Are the relationships or equations that link the intensity of light to other variables? I'm asking this because I'm not quite understanding intensity vs. frequency. I'm studying the photoelectric effect and how no photoelectrons are emitted if the light has a frequency lower than the threshold of frequency regardless of how intense the incident radiation was.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, so I've read that increasing the intensity of the incident energy of light gives way to more photons and results in the ejection of more photoelectrons. So the intensity is basically energy? Photons are quantums if EM energy right? So basically the higher intensity a light source has, the more photons it emits and theirfore it results in more photoelectrons being ejected from a metal surface?

Can someone explain why [tex]KE_{max}=E-\phi [/tex] given that E=hf and is fixed for all of the photons absorbed by the electrons. I know that the the minimum energy needed to liberate an electron from its atom is [tex]\phi[/tex] but I still don't get why the max KE is equal to E-Phi. Is it because it takes the electron Phi amount of energy to liberate itself and therefore the left over of the absorbed energy E minus Phi would give the energy left after liberation and this energy would equal the KE?

Last edited:
I know that a photon is a quantum of electromagnetic energy and that a quatm are individual bundles.. But can I also define a photon as a "particle of light/electromagnetic radiation and rays?" Are photons considered particles? Do they have a mass? Are they basically considered like gases or are they just bundles of energy?

can anyone tell me the relationship between the intensity of light and the HSL value? HSL stands for hue, saturation, and lightness

Related to Intensity of Light- What factors contribute?

1. What is intensity of light?

Intensity of light refers to the amount of energy present in a beam of light per unit area. It is a measure of the brightness or strength of light.

2. What factors contribute to the intensity of light?

The intensity of light is affected by several factors, including the distance from the light source, the angle of incidence, the type of surface it is hitting, and any obstructions or filters in its path.

3. How does distance affect the intensity of light?

The intensity of light decreases as the distance from the light source increases. This is because the same amount of energy is spread over a larger area, resulting in a decrease in brightness.

4. Does the angle of incidence affect the intensity of light?

Yes, the angle of incidence, or the angle at which light hits a surface, affects the intensity of light. When light hits a surface at a perpendicular angle, it is more concentrated and therefore has a higher intensity. As the angle decreases, the intensity also decreases.

5. How do obstructions and filters affect the intensity of light?

Obstructions and filters can both decrease the intensity of light. Obstructions, such as objects blocking the light's path, absorb or scatter some of the light, resulting in a decrease in intensity. Filters, on the other hand, can either block certain wavelengths of light or absorb some of the light's energy, reducing its intensity.