Intensity & Amplitude of Gaussian Beam

In summary, the relationship between intensity and amplitude for a Gaussian beam is proportional, but not equal.
russel.arnold
Can tell me the exact relationship between the intensity and the amplitude for a gaussian beam
?
I know that I is proportional to |A|2 .. but i want the value of this proportianality constant

Physics news on Phys.org
It's more properly called the irradiance (assuming you want the power per unit area), and for any electromagnetic wave (not just Gaussian beams) the relation is
I = ½ c εo Eo2
where Eo is the amplitude of the electric field.

I(x) = [I0/σ(2π)0.5] exp[-x2/(2σ2)]

where ∫I(x) dx = I0 and σ is the rms width.

Bob S

Last edited:
In engineering units you drop the "c" In the above intensity equation and you'll have Watts.

Bob S said:
I(x) = [I0/σ(2π)0.5] exp[-x2/(2σ2)]

where ∫I(x) dx = I0 and σ is the rms width.

Bob S
But that isn't in terms of the amplitude, as requested by the OP. You're also assuming the beam is Gaussian in just 1 transverse dimension. If the beam has a circularly symmetric intensity profile, things are different.

Antiphon said:
In engineering units you drop the "c" In the above intensity equation and you'll have Watts.
Actually, dropping the c gives the energy density in J/m3.
I'm using SI units. I'm not aware of any official "engineering units", unless you also mean the SI system?

Redbelly98 said:
But that isn't in terms of the amplitude, as requested by the OP. You're also assuming the beam is Gaussian in just 1 transverse dimension. If the beam has a circularly symmetric intensity profile, things are different.
I believe this is the correct normalized Gaussian beam distribution in two dimensions:

I(x,y) = [I0/(σxσy2π)] exp[-x2/(2σx2) - y2/(2σy2)]

where ∫I(x,y) dx dy = I0, and σx and σy are the rms widths in the x and y dimensions.

At any point x and y, the intensity is equal to the square of the amplitude.

Bob S

Bob S said:
I believe this is the correct normalized Gaussian beam distribution in two dimensions:

I(x,y) = [I0/(σxσy2π)] exp[-x2/(2σx2) - y2/(2σy2)]

where ∫I(x,y) dx dy = I0, and σx and σy are the rms widths in the x and y dimensions.
I0 is perhaps a poor choice of variable name, in that it has different units than I(x,y). I.e., I0 is in Watts and I(x,y) is W/m2.

At any point x and y, the intensity is equal to the square of the amplitude.

Bob S
Not in SI units, or Gaussian-cgs units either. Assuming "the amplitude" refers to the electric field (And I can't imagine what else it would mean.)

(Electric field)2 has units of energy/m3 in Gaussian units, or [energy/(charge*distance)]2 in SI units. Neither is consistent with intensity = energy/(time*distance2), so I maintain that the relationship is proportional, but not equal.

I had this image on hand, thought I would share it. This is a power cross section of a gaussian laser beam. Each color represents a power level. Other beam parameters are given to the left.

4941far.jpg

Redbelly98 said:
I0 is perhaps a poor choice of variable name, in that it has different units than I(x,y). I.e., I0 is in Watts and I(x,y) is W/m2.Not in SI units, or Gaussian-cgs units either. Assuming "the amplitude" refers to the electric field (And I can't imagine what else it would mean.)

(Electric field)2 has units of energy/m3 in Gaussian units, or [energy/(charge*distance)]2 in SI units. Neither is consistent with intensity = energy/(time*distance2), so I maintain that the relationship is proportional, but not equal.
We consider a normalized bi-gaussian electromagnetic radiation beam traveling in the z direction.

The Poynting vector is P(x,y) = E(x,y) x H(x,y) watts/m2 at every point in space, where E(x,y) is in volts per meter, and H(x,y) is in amps per meter.

E(x,y)/H(x,y) = Z0 = 377 ohms in free space

So the power density is w(x,y) = E2(x,y)/(2·Z0) watts/m2

or E(x,y) = sqrt[2·Z0·w(x,y)] volts/m

where the bi-gaussian distribution is w(x,y) = [W0/(σxσy2π)] exp[-x2/(2σx2) - y2/(2σy2)] watts/m2

where the total beam power is W0 = ∫w(x,y) dx dy watts

Bob S

Last edited:

Related to Intensity & Amplitude of Gaussian Beam

1. What is the difference between intensity and amplitude of a Gaussian beam?

The intensity of a Gaussian beam refers to the amount of power per unit area that is carried by the beam. It is directly related to the brightness of the beam. On the other hand, amplitude refers to the maximum value of the electric or magnetic field in the beam. It is a measure of the strength of the beam.

2. How is the intensity of a Gaussian beam calculated?

The intensity of a Gaussian beam is calculated by taking the square of the amplitude and dividing it by two times the beam's wavelength. The result is then multiplied by the speed of light in a vacuum.

3. How does the intensity of a Gaussian beam change with distance?

The intensity of a Gaussian beam decreases as the distance from the source increases. This is because the beam spreads out and the same amount of power is distributed over a larger area. The rate of decrease in intensity is determined by the beam's divergence angle.

4. What factors affect the intensity of a Gaussian beam?

The intensity of a Gaussian beam is affected by the beam's wavelength, amplitude, and divergence angle. Additionally, the medium through which the beam travels can also have an impact on its intensity. For example, the beam may experience absorption or scattering as it passes through a medium, leading to a decrease in intensity.

5. How is the intensity of a Gaussian beam related to its beam waist?

The intensity of a Gaussian beam is highest at its beam waist, which is the point of minimum beam radius. As the beam travels away from the waist, the intensity decreases due to the beam's spreading. The rate of decrease is determined by the beam's divergence angle.