Tidal Forces: Analyzing Comet Disruption by Planet w/ Mean Density > Comet

• Thread starter StephenPrivitera
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tidal
In summary: This is because the tidal force is much stronger due to the inverse square relationship with the distance, as compared to the self-gravity which only depends on the distance squared.In summary, the planet's tidal force can disrupt the comet if the planet's mean density is greater than that of the comet. This is because the tidal force is much stronger than the self-gravity of the comet, due to the inverse square relationship with the distance.
StephenPrivitera
A comet grazes a planet at a distance R. Show that the planet's tidal force can disrupt the comet is the planet's mean density is greater than that of the comet.

P--------R-------C

F=-GMm/r2
Now my TA advises me to expand this function about r=R using a taylor series. But c'mon, this is an introductory astronomy class. We're not supposed to know Taylor series!
But even if I do, I get:
F_g=-GMm/R2+2GMm/R3(dr)
dr=dist from center of comet
m=mass of comet
M=mass of planet

/\
|____ Is this even right?

Then I show that F_t>F_sg
where F_t=?
F_sg=self gravity=?
I'm so utterly confused.
Please feel free to include a lecture on tidal forces and taylor series! Whatever help you can give would be great!
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The tidal force (F_t) is the force of gravity exerted by the planet on the comet. The self-gravity (F_sg) of the comet is the gravitational attraction between the particles of the comet itself. The tidal force is much stronger than the self-gravity of the comet when the comet grazes the planet at a distance R, because the force of gravity increases as the inverse square of the distance.

To show that the planet's tidal force can disrupt the comet if the planet's mean density is greater than that of the comet, we need to compare the forces. The equation for the tidal force is: F_t = GMm/R2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet and m is the mass of the comet. The equation for the self-gravity of the comet is: F_sg = m^2G/r^2, where r is the distance between two particles of the comet.

We can expand this equation about r = R using Taylor series. This gives us: F_sg = m^2G/R^2 + 2m^2G/R^3(dr).

Now, if the planet's mean density is greater than that of the comet, then the tidal force (F_t) will be greater than the self-gravity of the comet (F_sg). Therefore, the planet's tidal force is

Hello! I understand that this topic may seem confusing, but let me try to break it down for you.

First, let's talk about tidal forces. Tidal forces are the result of the unequal gravitational pull on different parts of an object. In the case of a comet approaching a planet, the side of the comet closest to the planet will experience a stronger gravitational pull than the side farther away. This difference in gravitational pull can lead to the disruption of the comet.

Now, let's consider the equation you provided for gravitational force: F=-GMm/r^2. This equation represents the force between two objects with masses M and m, separated by a distance r. In this case, M represents the mass of the planet and m represents the mass of the comet.

Next, you mentioned using a Taylor series to expand this equation about r=R. This means that we are looking at the gravitational force at a specific distance, R, from the center of the planet. When we expand the equation, we get F=-GMm/R^2+2GMm/R^3(dr). This second term, 2GMm/R^3(dr), represents the tidal force.

To understand this better, let's look at the diagram you provided. When the comet grazes the planet at a distance R, the side of the comet closest to the planet will experience a stronger gravitational pull than the side farther away. This difference in pull creates a tidal force, which is represented by the second term in the expanded equation.

Now, to show that the planet's tidal force can disrupt the comet, we need to compare it to the self-gravity of the comet. Self-gravity is the gravitational force within an object itself. In this case, we can represent self-gravity as F_sg=-Gm^2/dr^2.

If we compare the two forces, F_t (tidal force) and F_sg (self-gravity), we can see that F_t>F_sg. This means that the tidal force is stronger than the self-gravity of the comet, and therefore, it can disrupt the comet.

I hope this explanation helps clarify the concept of tidal forces and how they can disrupt a comet. As for the use of Taylor series, it is a mathematical tool used to approximate functions and can be useful in understanding more complex relationships in physics and astronomy. If you are interested in learning more about it, I would suggest discussing it with your TA or

1. What are tidal forces and how do they affect comets?

Tidal forces are a gravitational phenomenon that occurs when two objects are close enough to each other that one object's gravity pulls harder on the near side of the other object than on the far side. This results in a stretching effect, known as tidal stress, on the smaller object. In the case of comets, tidal forces from a planet can disrupt the comet's structure and potentially cause it to break apart.

2. How does the mean density of a planet affect its tidal forces on a comet?

The mean density of a planet plays a crucial role in determining the strength of its tidal forces on a comet. A planet with a higher mean density will have a stronger gravitational pull, resulting in stronger tidal forces on the comet. This can increase the likelihood of the comet being disrupted by the planet's tidal forces.

3. Can tidal forces completely destroy a comet?

While tidal forces can cause significant disruption to a comet, it is unlikely that they would completely destroy it. Comets are made mostly of ice and dust, which are relatively fragile materials. However, some larger and more massive comets may be able to withstand the tidal forces exerted by a planet.

4. How do scientists analyze the potential for comet disruption by a planet's tidal forces?

Scientists use mathematical models and simulations to analyze the potential for comet disruption by a planet's tidal forces. These models take into account the mass, density, and orbital parameters of both the comet and the planet to determine the strength of the tidal forces and the likelihood of disruption. Additionally, observations of past comet disruptions can also provide valuable insights into this phenomenon.

5. Is there any way to prevent a comet from being disrupted by tidal forces?

Currently, there is no known way to prevent a comet from being disrupted by tidal forces. However, scientists continue to study this phenomenon and explore potential methods for mitigating the effects of tidal forces on comets. This could potentially involve altering the trajectory of the comet or finding ways to strengthen its structure to better withstand tidal stress.