Integration using residue theorem (part 2)

In summary, the integral can be evaluated using Residue Theorem by considering $\oint_c\frac{dz}{(z^2+4)^2}$, where C consists of the real axis [-R, R] with R > 2, and the upper half of Γ: |z| = R (all with counterclockwise orientation). If $0 < R < 2$, the contour $C$ will contain no singularity of $f$, but you cannot take the limit as $R \to \infty$ as $R < 2$.
aruwin
Hello.
I need some explanation here. I got the solution but I don't understand something.

Question:
Find the integral using Residue Theorem.

$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{dx}{(x^2+4)^2}$$

Here is the first part of the solution that I don't understand:

To evaluate $\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{dx}{(x^2+4)^2}$, consider $\oint_c\frac{dz}{(z^2 + 4)^2}$,
where C consists of the real axis [-R, R] with R > 2, and the upper half of Γ: |z| = R (all with counterclockwise orientation).

My question: Why is R>2?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's an assumption, not a result, that $R > 2$. This assumption was made so that the singularity of $f$ at $z = 2i$ lies inside C.

Euge said:
It's an assumption, not a result, that $R > 2$. This assumption was made so that the singularity of $f$ at $z = 2i$ lies inside C.

Ok, but why must the singularity lies inside C?

aruwin said:
Ok, but why must the singularity lies inside C?

At some point in the calculation, you're going to let $R \to \infty$ to find the value of $\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{dx}{(x^2 + 4)^2}$. As $R$ increases without bound, $C$ will contain the singularity of $f$ at $z = 2i$. Knowing that, you choose $R$ large enough in the setup of the contour. Also, keep the following in mind. If $0 < R < 2$, the contour $C$ will contain no singularity of $f$, but you cannot take the limit as $R \to \infty$ as $R < 2$. Then integrating over $C$ will serve no purpose.

Euge said:
At some point in the calculation, you're going to let $R \to \infty$ to find the value of $\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{dx}{(x^2 + 4)^2}$. As $R$ increases without bound, $C$ will contain the singularity of $f$ at $z = 2i$. Knowing that, you choose $R$ large enough in the setup of the contour. Also, keep the following in mind. If $0 < R < 2$, the contour $C$ will contain no singularity of $f$, but you cannot take the limit as $R \to \infty$ as $R < 2$. Then integrating over $C$ will serve no purpose.

Thank you for the explanation. I got it now :)

Related to Integration using residue theorem (part 2)

1. What is the residue theorem?

The residue theorem is a powerful mathematical tool used in complex analysis to evaluate certain types of integrals. It states that the value of a contour integral around a closed curve is equal to the sum of the residues of the singularities within the curve.

2. How is the residue theorem used in integration?

The residue theorem is used to simplify the evaluation of certain types of integrals, particularly those involving trigonometric, logarithmic, and exponential functions. It allows for the use of complex analysis techniques to evaluate these integrals, which can often be much easier than traditional methods.

3. What is a singularity in the context of the residue theorem?

A singularity is a point where a function becomes undefined or infinite. In the context of the residue theorem, singularities are important because they contribute to the value of a contour integral through their residues.

4. Can the residue theorem be used to evaluate any type of integral?

No, the residue theorem can only be used to evaluate integrals that meet certain criteria. The integrand must be a meromorphic function (one that is analytic except for a finite number of isolated singularities) and the contour must enclose all of the singularities.

5. Are there any limitations to using the residue theorem in integration?

While the residue theorem is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be used to evaluate integrals with simple poles (singularities of order 1) and it is not always easy to determine the contour needed to enclose all of the singularities. Additionally, the residue theorem may not always be the most efficient method for evaluating integrals and other techniques may be more suitable.