Which topic(s) seem(s) most basic to you?

• Thread starter roeighty
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around a poll about the most basic topic to understanding the world. The choices included "how the brain works", "religion", "study of matter", "sort facts", "paradox", "truth", "identity", "inquiry", "classical logic", "paralogic", "context", "attitude", "western thought", "eastern thought", "materialism", "idealism", "mind", "religion or spirituality", "belief", and "spirituality". There was a debate about the validity of the choices and the importance of each topic. Some felt that spirituality was a better term to use than religion in the poll. The conversation ended with the acknowledgement that there is

which topic(s) seem(s) most basic to you?

• origin of the universe, of existence, of everything

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • man thinking, and how brain works

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • the sense of it all, the plan, the outcome of everything

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • life, what does "beeing a living thing" mean in its essence, the sense of life, why are we here

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • the essence of it all

• paradoxies, infinity(~ties), "nothing", the incomprehensive

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • the real nature of matter, of energy, of spacetime, unified force-theory GUT, new scientific results

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • is world an illusion, is there a way out of confusion, can we know anything

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • sort facts from belief, learn about unknown world, depict/state mankinds situation in relation to th

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • religion stands above all, or/and, searching is the destination

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
roeighty
..multiples allowed..
vote for whatever choice mentions "your" topic!
try to really choose the MOST basic..

[added Thursday, 4/3/2003:]
. . . . more votes needed! . .

(a tendency is about to show up..
..newbies, any?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Weeeelll, I vote for all of the above, none of the above, and neither. They all just look so appealing. Give me a hint, which one do you like the best?

wuliheron, you could pick all of the choices!

I chose "how the brain works", "religion", "study of matter", and "sort facts..."

I chose every topic you listed because there is no basic topic, no fundamental vocabulary.

The origin and basis of everything seems to be the most basic to me.

I agree with the other members here.

roeighty, good job with this poll, you seem to have covered all of the most basic teachings - and I can't choose between them.

Well, I didn't include the paradox one, but everything else...

[added Thursday, 4/3/2003:]
. . . . more votes needed! . .

(a tendency is about to show up..]

wuliheron, you could pick all of the choices!

That's holistic thinking for you. :0)

There are several notable basics missing though. A quick study of western and eastern thought gives you more basics. Off the top of my head truth, identity, inquery, and classical logic in general. Paralogic, Context, attitude, and the rest of Asian thought in general. There are tremendous depths to be plumbed in these, yet I don't know of a single book that puts them all into perspective and shows how they are related.

I viewed poll resultes. Instead of a tendency showing up, diversity ruled because no topic had the minimum of 20 percent of the votes. Perhaps all the choices lack something...

i chose the illusion of existence one, once you accept the futility of trying to prove you or anything else exists then it is really quite simple.

Some of this topics are in a way appealing, but I won't consider any of these as "fundamental".

A fundamental issue in philosophy is that of the controverse between Materialism and Idealism.

For those who do not know the controverse, let me briefly explain the two positions.

Materialism goes from the perspective that there is in primary instance a material world which can in principle be known (but not in an absolute sense), and that mind is a secondary entity which is derived from the material world.

Idealism goes from the perspective that in first instance there is Mind, and that the material world only exists in secondary instance.

So the controverse is about what is the world about in first instance: Matter or Mind?

Religion or Spirituality

You'd do better to use the word "spirituality" rather than "religion" in your query, as the former seems "open-ended seeking" to me while the latter is "solidified 'knowing' ".

I would have voted for it then.

to M Gaspar, and others who complain about the coherencies of the choices offered..

i had originally twentythree points to the favored question:
which topic(s) seem(s) most basic to you to understanding world?

i mashed 23 down to ten. that's why i wrote: vote whatever your topic's mentionned..

in this special case, - religion or searching is the way -, i saw both as attitudes, that in their either way deny or refute or at least consider less basic the meaning of knowledge than that of belief (in getting along with world).
they do have sth in common. "searching as its destination" can be looked upon as a religion.. both somehow see no use or no aim or no need or no success or no procedure or even no sense at all in riding on fundamentals.

.. i could have listed "belief" and "spirit(uality)" in this choice aswell.. alas!.. :)

to all:
of course i'll state on this, but only, when there'll be no more votes coming in, which since the re-animation isn't the case yet..

..and, besides, any poll of this kind will in some aspect be wrong. there's no way to avoid this.

No complaints

I wasn't "complaining". Thanks for the poll.

1. What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to conducting scientific experiments and investigations. It involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on the evidence gathered.

2. How do you determine the validity of a scientific study?

The validity of a scientific study is determined by several factors, including the reliability of the data, the methodology used, the sample size, and the potential for bias or confounding variables. Peer review by other scientists in the field is also an important factor in determining the validity of a study.

3. What is the difference between a theory and a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is an educated guess or prediction about a phenomenon based on existing knowledge and observations. A theory, on the other hand, is a well-supported and widely accepted explanation for a natural phenomenon that has been extensively tested and validated through multiple experiments and observations.

4. How do you decide on a research topic?

Choosing a research topic involves identifying a gap in current knowledge, selecting a topic that is of interest to you, and ensuring that it is feasible and relevant to your field of study. It is also important to consider the potential impact and significance of the research topic in the scientific community.

5. What is the importance of peer review in scientific research?

Peer review is a critical aspect of the scientific process as it ensures the quality and validity of research findings. It involves having other experts in the field review and provide feedback on a study before it is published in a scientific journal. This helps to identify and correct any errors or biases and ensures that the research meets the standards of the scientific community.