Integration Summation Notation

In summary, there are two different notations for Riemann sums used in real analysis textbooks. The first notation, found in books such as Stewart and Thomas, uses the formula \lim_{x \to \infty} \sum_{i=1}^{n} f(x_i) \Delta x, where \Delta x = \frac{b - a}{n} and x_i = a + i\Delta x. The second notation, found in books like Apostol and Bartle's, uses the formula \lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i=1}^{n} f(x_i) (x_i - x_{i-1}), which can be simplified to the first notation
sponsoredwalk
Okay I've seen how crazy Riemann sums can get in real analysis and I've noticed a heirarchy of notation.

The Stewart/Thomas etc... kinds of books use;

[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} \sum_{i=1}^{n} f(x_i) \Delta x[/tex]

Where;

[tex]\Delta x = \frac{b - a}{n} and x_i = a + i\Delta x[/tex]

Then the books like Apostol and Bartle's real analysis use;

[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} \sum_{i=1}^{n} f(x_i) (x_i - x_i_-_1)[/tex]and what I'd like to know is how to calculate the (x_i - x_i_-_1) for some equation like;

f(x) = x² integrated from 2 to 8. I can do the Δx = (b - a)/n version fine but how do you work the newer notation?

in f(x_i) (x_i - x_i_-_1) I would assume f(x_i) would use any endpoint, i.e. the right endpoint being a + iΔx but how do you make sense of the (x_i - x_i_-_1)?

Physics news on Phys.org
As you say, they both essentially mean the same thing. To see this, just substitute [tex](i.\frac{b - a}{n}[/tex] for [tex]x_i[/tex] and [tex](i-1).\frac{b - a}{n}[/tex] for [tex]x_{i-1}[/tex] in the latter notation, and simplify.

[tex]x_i[/tex] just means the "value you get after adding [tex]i\frac{b-a}{n}[/tex] to [tex]a[/tex] ".

I'm not sure if this answers your question.

Last edited:
Thomas is in BIG TROUBLE if he actually says [itex]x \to \infty[/itex] ... but I think it is just sponsoredwalk who is mistaken ...

That answered my question perfectly thanks, I was a bit confused because the i was in the subscript.

Yeah that's actually [tex] \lim_{n \to \infty} [/tex] :redface:

Related to Integration Summation Notation

1. What is integration summation notation?

Integration summation notation is a mathematical notation used to express the sum of a series of terms. It combines the concepts of integration and summation, where the summation symbol (∑) is used to represent the sum and the integration symbol (∫) is used to represent the integration of a variable.

2. How is integration summation notation used?

Integration summation notation is used to express the sum of a series of terms that can be integrated. It is commonly used in calculus and other areas of mathematics to represent the area under a curve or the sum of a continuous function over a given interval.

3. What is the difference between integration summation notation and regular summation notation?

The main difference between integration summation notation and regular summation notation is that integration summation notation involves integration of a variable, while regular summation notation only involves the sum of a series of terms. Integration summation notation is used when the terms in the series can be integrated, while regular summation notation is used for discrete values.

4. How do you evaluate an integration summation notation?

To evaluate an integration summation notation, you first need to identify the limits of integration, which are represented by the numbers above and below the integration symbol (∫). Then, you can integrate the variable in the expression using the appropriate integration techniques. Finally, you can substitute the limits of integration into the integrated expression to get the final result.

5. What are some common applications of integration summation notation?

Integration summation notation has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used to calculate the area under a curve, the volume of a solid, or the sum of a continuous function over a given interval. It is also used in financial mathematics to calculate the total value of an investment over a period of time.