Integration - slightly confused

In summary, the conversation is about integrating a formula for a cylinder to apply it to a sphere. The formula q_m = -D A \frac{dc}{dx} simplifies to q_m = -D 2 \pi r L \frac{dc}{dr} when A = 2 \pi r L. The surface area of a sphere is 4 \pi r^2, so the formula becomes q_m = -D(4 \pi r^2) \frac{dc}{dr}. Integrating this, q_m ln \frac{1}{r_1^2}r_2 = 4 \pi D (c_1 - c_2). The basic rule for integration \int r
jderulo
Hi I'm trying to integrate the following [itex]q_m = -D A \frac{dc}{dx}[/itex]
where [itex]A = 4 \pi r^2[/itex] Yes, a sphere.My supplied literature simplifies to [itex]q_m = -D 2 \pi r L \frac{dc}{dr}[/itex] when [itex]A = 2 \pi r L [/itex]

Integrating to [itex]\int_{r1}^{r2} q_m \frac{dr}{r} = - \int_{c1}^{c2} 2 \pi L D dc[/itex]

Integrated to [itex]q_m ln \frac{r_2}{r_1} = 2 \pi L D (c_1 - c_2) [/itex]

I've had a go but unsure what to do with the [itex]r^2[/itex]

I thought this might work but it gives a negative value for [itex]q_m[/itex]

[itex]\int_{r1}^{r2} q_m \frac{dr}{r^2} = - \int_{c1}^{c2} 4 \pi D dc[/itex]

Integrated to [itex]q_m ln \frac{r_2}{r_1^2} = 4 \pi D (c_1 - c_2) [/itex]Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't follow... how does x relate to r?

Nick O said:
I don't follow... how does x relate to r?

I've edited it whilst you were reading. Do you follow now? They replace x with r.

Not really. Can you post the problem statement? It isn't even clear that r is a variable, or that there is correlation between x and r.

I've attached the literature. Basically the formula is for a cylinder, I need to convert it for a sphere.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 355
What you post in your last response integrates over a cylinder of radius r, length L. But you are asking about a sphere. Are you asking how to change from a cylinder to a sphere? If so then, yes, the surface area of a sphere of radius r is [tex]4\pi r^2[/tex] so that [itex]q_m= -DA\frac{dc}{dr}[/itex] (NOT [itex]\frac{dc}{dx}[/itex]) becomes [itex]q_m= -D(4\pi r^2)\frac{dc}{dr}[/itex] which can be separated as
[tex]\frac{q_m}{r^2}dr= -4D\pi dc[/tex]
and integrating,
[tex]q_m\int_{r_1}^{r_2} \frac{1}{r^2}dr= -4D\pi\int_{c_1}^{c_2} dc[/tex]

Integrate that.

This?

[itex]q_m ln (\frac{1}{r_1^2}r_2) = 4 \pi D (c_1 - c_2) [/itex]

Then you are not "slightly confused" about integration- you seem to be saying you do not know how to integrate at all. No [itex]\int dr/r^2[/itex] is not "ln(r^2)". Using the very basic rule [itex]\int r^n dr= r^{n+1}/(n+ 1)[/itex], [itex]\int dr/r^2= \int r^{-2}dr= -r^{-1}+ C[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
Then you are not "slightly confused" about integration- you seem to be saying you do not know how to integrate at all. No [itex]\int dr/r^2[/itex] is not "ln(r^2)". Using the very basic rule [itex]\int r^n dr= r^{n+1}/(n+ 1)[/itex], [itex]\int dr/r^2= \int r^{-2}dr= -r^{-1}+ C[/itex].

How do I fit in [itex] r_1 [/itex] and [itex] r_2 [/itex]

If [itex]\int f(x)dx= F(x)+ C[/itex] then
[tex]\int_{x_1}^{x_2} f(x)dx= F(x_2)- F(x_1)[/tex].

HallsofIvy said:
If [itex]\int f(x)dx= F(x)+ C[/itex] then
[tex]\int_{x_1}^{x_2} f(x)dx= F(x_2)- F(x_1)[/tex].

Thanks, I thought as much but seeing as I made a glaring error previously I thought I should double check.

Related to Integration - slightly confused

What is integration?

Integration is the process of finding the integral of a function, which is the inverse operation of differentiation. It is used to find the area under a curve, as well as to solve various mathematical and scientific problems.

Why is integration important?

Integration is important because it allows us to find the area under a curve, which is useful in many applications such as calculating distance, velocity, and acceleration. It is also used in physics, engineering, and economics to solve various problems and make predictions.

What are the different types of integration?

There are two main types of integration: indefinite and definite. Indefinite integration involves finding an antiderivative of a function, while definite integration involves finding the area between a curve and the x-axis within a specific interval.

How do you solve an integration problem?

To solve an integration problem, you first need to identify the function to be integrated. Then, you need to apply integration rules and techniques, such as the power rule, integration by parts, or substitution, to find the integral. Finally, you need to evaluate the integral and include any necessary constants or limits.

What are some real-life applications of integration?

Integration has numerous real-life applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by a moving object, finding the amount of water in a reservoir, or determining the net profit of a business. It is also used in physics to calculate work and energy, and in statistics to find the probability of certain events.