Is the Iomega Zip Drive Still Relevant? Comparing to CDR with 700MB Storage

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive
In summary, The conversation discusses the relevance of Zip drives in today's technology market. It is argued that with the existence of cheaper and more efficient storage options like CDR, DVD burners, pen drives, and memory cards, Zip drives have become obsolete. The speaker also mentions that Iomega, the company that produces Zip drives, is no longer a viable investment. However, some individuals still find use for Zip drives, such as in schools where CD burners may not be available, or for transferring large files at a faster rate. It is suggested that Laplink can also serve as an alternative to Zip drives. Despite this, it is acknowledged that Zip drives are no longer as popular as they once were.
Saint
since we have CDR, which is cheap and can store 700MB, why do we need Zip drive?

i never had a friend using I-omega zip drive, it is a dead product.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Any Iomega product is toast. Do not invest in Iomega. Buy yourself a dvd burner if you need more storage, otherwise stay with your cd burner.

Iomega disks are too expensive to be viable in the future.

The reasons I own one now though are:

1) The labs in school do not include CD burners, so it's either one zip or 5 floppys.

2) Copying large files to zip drive is still a faster process than burning CDs. No special software is needed (other than the drivers, obviously), you just drag and drop from windows explorer.

people are still using zips? wow... that fad i thought had died.

I play with old laptops that have tiny hard drives and lack many of the ports found on more modern computers. Here is a proceedure;
1 fdisk, format, install DOS.
2 Install zip driver.
3 download compatible programs with fast computer and store on zip.
4 transfer from zip disk to laptop hard drive.

Laplink cuts out the need for a zip drive though. Ok I confess, someone gave me a couple of zip drives (that ought to tell you something right there) and I've been playing with them.

1. Is the Iomega Zip Drive still being used in modern technology?

No, the Iomega Zip Drive has been largely replaced by more advanced storage technologies such as USB drives and cloud storage. It is no longer considered a relevant option for storing and transferring data.

2. How does the storage capacity of the Iomega Zip Drive compare to a CDR with 700MB storage?

The Iomega Zip Drive had a maximum storage capacity of 100MB, while a CDR can hold up to 700MB of data. This means that a CDR has significantly more storage space than the Iomega Zip Drive.

3. Are there any advantages to using an Iomega Zip Drive over a CDR?

One potential advantage of the Iomega Zip Drive is that it allows for rewritable storage, meaning data can be erased and replaced multiple times. However, this feature is also available on some CDRs.

4. Can the Iomega Zip Drive be used with modern computers?

The Iomega Zip Drive was designed to be compatible with both Mac and PC computers, but with the advancement of technology, it may be difficult to find a computer with the necessary ports to use the drive.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using an Iomega Zip Drive?

One potential drawback is that the Iomega Zip Drive uses proprietary disks, making them more expensive and less widely available compared to standard CDRs. Additionally, the drive itself may be difficult to find and may not be compatible with newer operating systems.