Integration of V(t) using faraday's law

In summary, the conversation is about finding the velocity as a function of time for a U-shaped conductor with a sliding bar, a battery, and a switch. The integration process is causing difficulty, and the formula involves voltage, magnetic field, length, and resistance. A suggested solution is to use u-substitution, with u being equal to E-Blv.
ilovephysics
Ok the question is with a U-shaped conductor and a bar that slides across. There is a battery and a switch, the switch is open for a long time then closed at t=0. I am supposed to find the velocity as a function of time. I am mostly having trouble with the integration, i know the answer but i can't seem to integrate it right.

We have to integrate the first term from 0 to v, and the second from 0 to t

dv/(E-BLv) = (LB/mR)dt

E=voltage of battery
B=magnetic field
L=length of rod
R=resistance

i get to the formula above and then try u-substitution and i can't seem to get it right, could someone integrate this and show me? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Make the sub

[tex] E-Blv= u [/tex]

You get

[tex] dv=-\frac{du}{Bl} [/tex]

And I'm sure you know how the limits of integration transform...

Daniel.

Related to Integration of V(t) using faraday's law

1. What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a closed loop is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop.

2. How is Faraday's Law used in the integration of V(t)?

Faraday's Law is used to calculate the induced EMF in a closed loop, which can then be integrated with respect to time to find the voltage (V) as a function of time (t).

3. Can Faraday's Law be applied to any type of circuit?

Yes, Faraday's Law can be applied to any type of circuit, as long as there is a change in magnetic flux through the loop.

4. How is the magnetic flux calculated for Faraday's Law?

The magnetic flux is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength (B) by the area (A) through which it is passing, and by the cosine of the angle between the magnetic field and the area vector.

5. What are the units of measurement for the induced EMF in Faraday's Law?

The units for induced EMF in Faraday's Law are volts (V), since EMF is a measure of potential difference.