Who are the political parties in Ontario and what do they stand for?

• News
  • Thread starter Inquiring_Mike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Government
In summary, the speaker is an 18-year-old who is unsure of who to vote for in the upcoming election. They are from Cambridge, Ontario and are curious about the different political parties. The other speaker mentions that they are close by in Waterloo and have heard of the places the first speaker mentioned. They also mention going to Turkey Point every summer except this year, when they went to Sauble Beach.
Inquiring_Mike
I'm 18 and with the election coming up in October, I'm not sure who to vote for. My parents do not vote very often. I'm just wondering, could anyone tell me about the different parties?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where in Ontario are you? I'm from a city called Cambridge by Kitchener, Waterloo and a 1.5 hour drive from Toronto.

Well I'm fairly close, actually my sister goes to university in Waterloo... I'm out in the country in between Simcoe and Delhi and very close to Turkey Point... I'm not sure if you've heard of any of those places...

I have infact heard of all of them... I go to Turkey Point every summer except this one... I went to Sauble Beach instead this summer... It was kick ass!

1. What type of government does Ontario/Canada have?

Ontario and Canada both have a parliamentary system of government, with a federal system of government at the national level and a provincial system of government at the provincial level. This means that there is a central government that is responsible for making laws and governing the country, and there are separate provincial governments that are responsible for governing their respective provinces.

2. Who is the head of government in Ontario/Canada?

In Ontario, the head of government is the Premier, who is the leader of the political party with the most seats in the Legislative Assembly. In Canada, the head of government is the Prime Minister, who is the leader of the party with the most seats in the House of Commons.

3. How is the government in Ontario/Canada structured?

The government in Ontario is structured with three branches: the executive branch, which includes the Premier and their cabinet; the legislative branch, which includes the Legislative Assembly; and the judicial branch, which includes the courts. Similarly, the government in Canada is structured with three branches: the executive branch, which includes the Prime Minister and their cabinet; the legislative branch, which includes the House of Commons and the Senate; and the judicial branch, which includes the Supreme Court of Canada.

4. How are laws made in Ontario/Canada?

In Ontario, laws are made through a process called the legislative process, which involves the introduction of a bill in the Legislative Assembly, followed by debates and votes in both the Legislative Assembly and the Legislative Council. In Canada, laws are made through a similar process, where a bill is introduced in the House of Commons, debated and voted on, and then sent to the Senate for review and approval.

5. What is the role of the government in Ontario/Canada?

The role of the government in Ontario and Canada is to make and enforce laws, provide public services, and manage the affairs of the country/province. This includes areas such as healthcare, education, transportation, and social services. The government is also responsible for managing the economy and representing the interests of its citizens on the global stage.