Finding a in circular motion problem

In summary, you need to figure out the initial velocity of the stone when it is released from the sling and then use the formulas for circular motion to find the acceleration.
infraray
The problem is this: sling with r=1.5m spinning 2m above ground. Stone is released and lands 10m away. What is acceleration while in circular motion? The answer is supposed to be 160 m/s. I keep coming up with approx. 145 m/s. I assume I am to figure t first to then find v, where t= sqrt(2y/g), which yields approx. 0.64s. Where am I going wrong? I have tried this many different ways and am pulling my hair out. Any help or leads will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by infraray
I assume I am to figure t first to then find v, where t= sqrt(2y/g), which yields approx. 0.64s.

That equation is for free fall, not for circular motion.

The acceleration of a particle undergoing uniform circular motion is
aC=v2/r. You need to know how fast the mass is moving.

Maybe I am missing something, but the problem isn't doesn't contain velocity as a given, the only givens are: r=1.5m, y=2m, and x=10m. I assume I am to figure out the initial v as the stone leaves the sling and work backward to find a. Once again I preemtively thank anyone who can offer some advice.

You know the height of the stone when it is "released" from the sling and you know it was moving horizontally at that time. The motion of the stone from that point is y= (-g/2)t^2+ 2 and x= v t.
You know that when y= 0, x= 10 m. You should be able to solve the equations (-g/2)t^2+ 2= 0 for t (yes, t= sqrt(2y/g) which, since y= 2, is t= 2/sqrt(g)) and then v t= 10 for v. THAT gives you the speed of the stone. Knowing that you can use the formulas for circular motion (particularly a= v^2/R) to find the acceleration, a.

By the way, you say that "The answer is supposed to be 160 m/s."

Of course, that's impossible: I'm sure you mean 160 m/s^2.

Actually, I get 163 1/3 meters per second squared.

Thanks HallsofIvy! What was messing me up was trying to calculate the velocity by using the formula v=c/t where c is the circumference. I was assuming that because I was looking for the acceleration while in circular motion I should have been using that formula. It all works out fine now. Oh, yeah I realize the 160 m/s should have contained the square I apparently did not proof read well enough. Thanks again for your help.

1. What is circular motion and how is it different from linear motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. Unlike linear motion, where an object moves in a straight line, circular motion involves a constant change in direction, resulting in a curved path.

2. How do you find the acceleration of an object in circular motion?

The acceleration of an object in circular motion can be found using the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is centripetal force and how does it relate to circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving along a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the object's direction and speed in circular motion.

4. What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Some examples of circular motion in everyday life include the motion of a Ferris wheel, the orbit of planets around the sun, and the spinning of a washing machine drum.

5. How does the speed of an object affect its motion in circular motion?

The speed of an object in circular motion is directly related to its velocity and acceleration. The greater the speed, the larger the centripetal force needed to maintain the circular path. If the speed is too slow, the object may deviate from its circular path and move in a straight line.