Integration of mixed function at infinity limit

In summary, the conversation is about calculating a second virial coefficient from interaction potentials using integration. The person is having trouble with convergence and asks for help with integrating the function. It is suggested to expand the numerator as a power series in r to check its behavior near r = 0. It is also mentioned that the integral can only be computed if rs=0. The person clarifies that rs could either mean r multiplied by s or a parameter, and it is determined that the estimate is that the numerator is ~ r2 near r = 0, unless s = 1.
raymound
Hi,

I am trying to calculate second virial coefficient from interaction potentias and I have to Integrate at Infinity level and it seems that Integrate doesn't converge.

can you help me integrate this function. Integrate is attached as an image.

Regards
Raymond

Attachments

• 1.gif
    1.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 462
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like it would be difficult to integrate analytically. To check its behavior near r = 0, expand the numerator as a power series in r. The first term may be ~ r2, in which case you are OK. However I am not sure - it is messy.

If rs is not nul, the integral is not convergent.
So the integral can be computed only if rs=0

JJacquelin said:
If rs is not nul, the integral is not convergent.
So the integral can be computed only if rs=0

Why?

If rs is not nul, the function to be integrated is equivalent to c/r² close to r=0, where c is a constant (Expand the function around r=0).
The integral of c/r² is divergent for r tending to 0.
if rs=0 then c=0 and one can see from the expansion that the next term is integrable. So, there is no integration problem around r=0 in this particular case of rs=0.
All this concerns the question of convergence around r=0 only.

Last edited:
JJacquelin said:
If rs is not nul, the function to be integrated is equivalent to c/r² close to r=0, where c is a constant (Expand the function around r=0).
The integral of c/r² is divergent for r tending to 0.
if rs=0 then c=0 and one can see from the expansion that the next term is integrable. So, there is no integration problem around r=0 in this particular case of rs=0.
All this concerns the question of convergence around r=0 only.

My estimate is that the numerator is ~ r2 near r = 0, unless s = 1.

mathman said:
My estimate is that the numerator is ~ r2 near r = 0, unless s = 1.

Does "rs" means r multiplied by s, or does "rs" is the symbol of a parameter (i.e. is constant) ?
In the first case you are right. In the second case I am right.

Related to Integration of mixed function at infinity limit

1. What is the meaning of "mixed function" in integration at infinity limit?

In integration, a mixed function refers to a function that contains both polynomial and exponential terms. These types of functions can be difficult to integrate using traditional methods, hence the need for integration at infinity limit.

2. How is integration of mixed function at infinity limit different from regular integration?

Integration at infinity limit involves finding the definite integral of a mixed function over an infinite range, whereas regular integration deals with finding the antiderivative of a function over a finite range.

3. What are some common techniques used for integration of mixed function at infinity limit?

Some common techniques include using L'Hopital's rule, partial fraction decomposition, and substitution. These methods can help simplify the mixed function and make it easier to integrate at infinity limit.

4. Can integration of mixed function at infinity limit be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, integration of mixed function at infinity limit is often used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving exponential growth, decay, and other natural phenomena that exhibit mixed function behavior.

5. Are there any limitations to integration of mixed function at infinity limit?

One limitation is that the mixed function must have a well-behaved behavior at infinity in order for the integration to be possible. Additionally, the techniques used for integration at infinity limit may not always yield exact solutions and may require numerical methods for approximation.