When Was String Theory First Formulated?

In summary, string theory was first formulated in 1968 as an attempt to describe the strong nuclear force, but was later abandoned in favor of quantum chromodynamics. However, scientists such as Nambu and Virasoro realized that Veneziano's formula, originally proposed to fit some of the high-energy characteristics of the strong force, was consistent with the dynamics of strings. This led to further developments such as the need for extra dimensions, the possibility of obtaining fermions with supersymmetry, and ultimately the potential for unifying all four forces. The history of string theory is fondly discussed by experts in the field, such as Gabriele Veneziano and John Schwarz, who offer personal perspectives on its early beginnings.
jcsd
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How and from what was string theory first formulated? I have heard that it was somehow connected with the attempt to unify General relativity and electromagnetism by introducing a fifth dimension, but I know little about the logical process which gave rise to string theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by jcsd
How and from what was string theory first formulated? I have heard that it was somehow connected with the attempt to unify General relativity and electromagnetism by introducing a fifth dimension, but I know little about the logical process which gave rise to string theory.

No, actually all that bit about extra dimensions and supersymmetry and such came later. String theory originally arose as an attempt to describe the strong nuclear force (the "dual models"), until quantum chromodynamics won out. It came about in a kind of ad-hoc way; in 1968 (ed: not 1986) Veneziano proposed a formula to fit some of the high-energy characteristics of the strong force, and then people like Nambu and Virasoro realized that the formula was what was predicted from the dynamics of strings. Later other people realized that you needed extra dimensions to make it consistent, that you could get fermions with supersymmetry, that you could get gravity from the theory, that you might get everything else by compactifying the extra dimensions, etc.

Last edited:
A string theory for the strong force (hadronics) came first.

String theorists talk fondly about the history of their subject. Here are two colloquium audio files with their overhead slides.

The Beginning of String Theory or: How Nature Deceived Us in the Sixties
Dr. Gabriele Veneziano, CERN/TH & KITP --->

http://online.itp.ucsb.edu/online/colloq/veneziano1/

Early History of String Theory: A Personal Perspective
Dr. John Schwarz, Caltech --->

http://online.itp.ucsb.edu/online/colloq/schwarz1/

I think that Ambitwistor made a typo; was in 1968 and not in 1986 when Veneziano proposed his formula: Veneziano's formula
In my notes I have that the first people that proposed string theory like a theory of unification of the 4 forces, a TOE, were Schwarz and Scherk in 1974

Last edited:

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that seeks to explain the fundamental nature of particles and their interactions. It proposes that the building blocks of the universe are not point-like particles, but rather tiny, vibrating strings.

2. When was string theory first proposed?

The first version of string theory was proposed in the late 1960s by physicists Gabriele Veneziano and Leonard Susskind. However, it was not until the 1980s that the theory gained widespread attention and development.

3. How has string theory evolved over time?

String theory has undergone several developments and transformations since its inception. This includes the incorporation of supersymmetry, the discovery of dualities between different string theories, and the addition of extra dimensions to the theory.

4. What are the potential implications of string theory?

If string theory is proven to be correct, it could provide a unified explanation for all of the fundamental forces of nature and help reconcile quantum mechanics with general relativity. It could also potentially lead to a better understanding of the origins and structure of the universe.

5. Has string theory been proven?

Currently, there is no experimental evidence to support string theory. However, it remains a popular and active area of research in theoretical physics, and many scientists believe that it holds great potential for explaining the fundamental workings of the universe.