Integration of an arc of charge

In summary, the problem involves two arcs of charge centered at the origin, with one arc having a linear charge density of +1 nC/m and a radius of 5 cm, and the other arc having a linear charge density of -1 nC/m and a radius of 10 cm. The problem asks for the magnitude and direction of the electric field at the origin, the electric potential at the origin, the work done to bring +1 nC of charge from infinity to the origin, and the magnitude and direction of the electric force on +1 nC of charge when placed at the origin. The electric field at the origin can be calculated by integrating from 0 to pi/2 with respect to theta, where Ey = 2
vysero

Homework Statement

Two arcs of charge are center at the origin. The arc at radius r has a linear charge density of +(lambda) while the arc of radius 2r has a linear charge density of -(lambda). (r = 5cm, lambda = 1nC/m, theta = 40°)

a) Calculate the magnitude and direction (as an angle from the x axis) of the electric field at the origin.
b) Calculate the electric potential at the origin.
c) Calculate the work done to bring +1 nC of charge from infinity to the origin.
d) Calculate the magnitude and direction of the electric force on +1 nC of charge when placed at the origin.

problem.png

[/B]

Homework Equations

For A (I think) : Ey = 2kq/(pi)r^2
this is after I integrated from 0 to pi/2 with respect to theta[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well the problem I am having is with this lambda. I calculated E(y) to be:
2kQ/pi(r)^2 where Q = 1x10^-9 and r = .05 m
With this I came up with 7192 n/c for the little arc and -719200 n/c for the larger arc. I then made the assumption that E(tot) = the addition of the smaller and larger arc which is:
726392 n/c @ 90° from the x axis

However I get the feeling that I cannot say Q = 1nC because its 1nC per m... I am not sure how to deal with lambda. I have only approached a so far because I am confused by lambda. I found similar problems and I could do this problem if I knew the total charge of the rod. Well I could do it for each arc individually, however the two combined has me a bit confused. I am not sure if I should add the respective E fields together or square them and take the square root of the product... any help would be appreciated.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Linear charge density of X per meter means: If you had 1 meter of arc you would have X charge. If you had 0.5 meter of arc you would have 0.5 X charge, and so on.

To get the electric field you have to remember that it is a vector, and you need to integrate. But you said you integrated 0 to pi/2. Who says those are the limits? That is not what is in the diagram.

Symmetry will tell you some nice things. In particular, there is one part of the vector you do not need to calculate.

DEvens said:
Linear charge density of X per meter means: If you had 1 meter of arc you would have X charge. If you had 0.5 meter of arc you would have 0.5 X charge, and so on.

To get the electric field you have to remember that it is a vector, and you need to integrate. But you said you integrated 0 to pi/2. Who says those are the limits? That is not what is in the diagram.

Symmetry will tell you some nice things. In particular, there is one part of the vector you do not need to calculate.

Right I don't need to calculate the x components of the vectors because they cancel. So I guess I am wondering what the bounds on my integral should be and do I need to figure out how long the rod is in cm or?

You already figured out the x components cancel, but it's even nicer if you show it too. Isn't more work, because you need to set up some integration anyway to establish the y component. And the integration is over theta. Make a little drawing where you calculate the contribution to Ey at (0,0) from a small section of arc (radius r) between ##\theta## and ##\theta + d\theta##. It can be treated as a point charge with charge ##\lambda d\theta## . That should also make clear from where to where ##\theta## should run. As DE says, you can benefit from symmetry if you pick ##\theta = 0## in a smart way.

And the ratio between your radii is 2, not 10 !

Related to Integration of an arc of charge

1. What is the concept of integration of an arc of charge?

The integration of an arc of charge refers to the process of finding the total electric field produced by a continuous distribution of charge along a curved path or arc. It is an important concept in electromagnetism and is used to calculate the electric field at a point due to a non-uniform distribution of charge.

2. How is integration of an arc of charge different from integration of a straight line of charge?

The integration of an arc of charge is different from the integration of a straight line of charge because the distribution of charge along a curved path is not constant, unlike a straight line where the charge is evenly distributed. In the case of an arc, the charge density varies along the curve, making the integration more complex.

3. What is the formula for calculating the electric field due to an arc of charge?

The formula for calculating the electric field due to an arc of charge is given by E = k∫dq/r², where k is the Coulomb's constant, dq is the small charge element along the arc, and r is the distance between the charge element and the point where the field is being calculated.

4. Can the integration of an arc of charge be simplified?

Yes, the integration of an arc of charge can be simplified by dividing the arc into small charge elements and using the principle of superposition. This allows us to treat the arc as a series of straight line segments, making the integration easier and more manageable.

5. What are some real-life applications of the integration of an arc of charge?

The integration of an arc of charge is used in many real-life applications, including calculating the electric field of a charged wire or cable, determining the electric field of a curved conductor, and designing complex electrical systems such as antennas and particle accelerators.