How Does Nakahara Compactify I=[0,1] to S^1 in De Rham Cohomology Proof?

In summary: So, contractible. Never mind, I said something dumb: Since M is simply-connected, no matter how wild, the curve can be homotoped to a point within the space. So, contractible.In summary, in Nakahara's Geometry, Topology and Physics in chapter 6.4.5 second edition, the author proves that on a simply connected manifold, the first de Rham cohomology group is trivial. In the proof, he defines the loop ##\alpha## as a mapping from the closed interval ##I=[0,1]## to the manifold ##M##, which is homotopic to a point and is assumed to be contractible. The author then replaces the interval ##I## with
Silviu
Hello! In Nakahara's Geometry, Topology and Physics in chapter 6.4.5 second edition, he proves at a point that on a simply connected manifold, the first de Rham cohomology group is trivial. In the proof he defines ##\alpha : I=[0,1] \to M##, homotopic to a point. Now, by the rules of integration on a manifold, we have ##\int_{\alpha(I)} \omega = \int_I \alpha^* \omega##, where the * represents the pullback. However in the book he writes ##\int_{\alpha(I)} \omega = \int_{S^1} \alpha^* \omega##, and he mentions that ##I=[0,1]## in the LHS is compactified to ##S^1##. Can someone explain this to me? All the proof is based on the fact that ##S^1## has no boundary, so can someone explain to me how can you go from I to ##S^1##? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT But this seems confusing: ##I## is compact to start with, and so is ##\alpha(I)## , as the continuous image of ##I=[0,1]## ( So why is he compactifying something that is already compact *). Maybe I am missing something? Does he define ##\alpha## and/or give other/additional conditions on it? Any chance you can scan and post the page where he wrote this part?

* IIRC there are some issues with compactification in that in some spaces the compactification of an already compact space may not be homeomorphic to the original, though I doubt this is the case here..

Last edited:
##α(0)=α(1)## so ##α## may be viewed as a map from the circle.

Likes fresh_42
lavinia said:
##α(0)=α(1)## so ##α## may be viewed as a map from the circle.
Yes, but he doesn't replace ##\alpha## with ##S^1##. He replaces I.

Silviu said:
Yes, but he doesn't replace ##\alpha## with ##S^1##. He replaces I.
Right.

lavinia said:
Right.
Wait I am confused. ##\alpha## is a closed loop, so I can see why would it be homeomorphic to a circle. But I is a closed interval, how can it be homeomorphic to a circle? I think I am missing something.

Silviu said:
Wait I am confused. ##\alpha## is a closed loop, so I can see why would it be homeomorphic to a circle. But I is a closed interval, how can it be homeomorphic to a circle? I think I am missing something.
OK. I see your question now.

A loop is defined as a continuous mapping from the closed interval ##I## into a topological space ##α: I→M## such that ##α(0) = α(1)##. If one is integrating 1 forms then ##α## must be piecewise smooth. In general ##α## is not a homeomorphism because its image may cross over itself. For instance its image may be a figure eight.

Since ##α(0) ## equals ##α(1)## ##α## can be factored through the circle. ##I→S^1→M##.

Last edited:
lavinia said:

A loop is defined as a continuous mapping from the closed interval ##I## into a topological space ##α: I→M## such that ##α(0) = α(1)##. If one is integrating 1 forms the ##α## must be piece wisesmooth. In general ##α## is not a homeomorphism because its image may cross over itself. For instance its image may be a figure eight.

Since ##α(0) ## equals ##α(1)## ##α## can be factored through the circle. ##I→S^1→M##.
Oh I see so you basically change the conditions such that ##\alpha(x)=\alpha(x+2\pi)##. Thank you! One more question: Why does he defines alpha on I in the first place and not on ##S^1##, from the beginning?

Silviu said:
Oh I see so you basically change the conditions such that ##\alpha(x)=\alpha(x+2\pi)##. Thank you! One more question: Why does he defines alpha on I in the first place and not on ##S^1##, from the beginning?

Not sure. But in general one thinks about paths in a space. A path may have different end points. A line integral is just the integral of a 1 form over a piecewise smooth path.

lavinia said:

A loop is defined as a continuous mapping from the closed interval ##I## into a topological space ##α: I→M## such that ##α(0) = α(1)##. If one is integrating 1 forms then ##α## must be piecewise smooth. In general ##α## is not a homeomorphism because its image may cross over itself. For instance its image may be a figure eight.

Actually, ##\alpha## is assumed to be contractible, according to the OP. Supposedly author is compactifying the unit interval, which is compact to start with (??) so ##\alpha## cannot be too wild and contractible.

WWGD said:
Actually, ##\alpha## is assumed to be contractible, according to the OP. Supposedly author is compactifying the unit interval, which is compact to start with (??) so ##\alpha## cannot be too wild and contractible.

##α## is "not too wild" because it is smooth/ piecewise smooth. If it were only continuous then it could be wild even if it is null homotopic. For instance, there are continuous closed loops on the sphere that are space filling.

Last edited:
lavinia said:
##α## is "not too wild" because it is smooth/ piecewise smooth. If it were only continuous then it could be wild even if it is null homotopic. For instance, there are continuous closed loops on the sphere that are space filling.
Never mind, I said something dumb: Since M is simply-connected, no matter how wild, the curve can be homotoped to a point within the space.

Related to How Does Nakahara Compactify I=[0,1] to S^1 in De Rham Cohomology Proof?

What is the definition of integration of a one-form?

Integration of a one-form is a mathematical operation that involves calculating the area under a curve of a one-dimensional function. It is a way to find the total amount or value of a quantity over a given interval.

What is the purpose of integration of a one-form?

The purpose of integration of a one-form is to determine the total change or accumulation of a quantity over a specific interval. It is also used to find the area under a curve, which has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are the different methods of integration of a one-form?

There are several methods of integration of a one-form, including the fundamental theorem of calculus, integration by substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. Each method has its own specific application and can be used to solve different types of integrals.

What are the common mistakes made in integration of a one-form?

Some common mistakes made in integration of a one-form include forgetting to add the constant of integration, using incorrect limits of integration, and making errors in algebraic manipulation. It is important to double-check the final answer and ensure that all the steps in the integration process are correct.

How is integration of a one-form used in real-life situations?

Integration of a one-form has many real-life applications, such as calculating the work done by a force, finding the distance traveled by an object, and determining the amount of fluid flowing through a pipe. It is also used in fields like statistics to find probabilities and in economics to calculate total revenue or cost.